Whats the worst amp ever?
Jan 12, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #16 of 43
All the Maverick apologists in the Maverick thread all thought I was crazy for thinking the D1 was terrible.  They came flying out of the woodwork to defend the amp and Ryan, the entrepreneur.  When I contacted Ryan about all the problems with my amp, he offered me a $25 refund.

Wow.  Way to go.  Done with them forever.

Quote:
  I m glade you said that I thought I was the only one that was less then pleased with the d1 as a headphone amp.

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #19 of 43
Yep, the jack on my black MacBook is rubbish.

Quote:
The headphone out of the Macbook also sucks a lot. The distortion is almost as loud as the music when it comes to sensitive IEMs

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #21 of 43
The line out on my Macbook is also great as it doubles as a mini optical port.  But, the opamp headphone jack really lacks.

Quote:
Blame it on Steve Jobs. My IMac line out is not too bad, though.

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #23 of 43
Big misunderstanding.  It's all been taken care of, and was never a problem to begin with.

Quote:
I remember reading something about a Schiit amp, which could burn your headphones, if you had them plugged when you turn it on..

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #25 of 43
I wouldn't say misunderstanding was the problem with the Schitt amp, more a gigantic turn-on transient. That model of amp are all shipping with relays now.

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #27 of 43

Quote:
Maybe learn about how impedance works...

confused.gif
 How does my understanding of impedance effect what I hear ? 

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #28 of 43

Quote:
confused.gif
 How does my understanding of impedance effect what I hear ? 

You'd realize you can't drive a low impedance (which you call "sensitive") IEM with the headphone out, since you are losing power transfer, and causing distortion. This isn't the fault of the Macbook's amp, it's a fault of headphone manufacturers insisting on having low impedance loads, and your decision to use a headphone designed for a low voltage source (like an iPod).

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #29 of 43

Quote:
You'd realize you can't drive a low impedance (which you call "sensitive") IEM with the headphone out, since you are losing power transfer, and causing distortion. This isn't the fault of the Macbook's amp, it's a fault of headphone manufacturers insisting on having low impedance loads, and your decision to use a headphone designed for a low voltage source (like an iPod).

So a low impedance and sensitive IEM which is often used for portable devices can't be driven properly with a laptop ? If the amp can't drive a load with low impedance, is that not a problem ? How many consumers out there is supposed to know what the macbook's amp is designed for ?  I simply stated what I observed. The IEMs I use are indeed sensitive. Sensitivity is not the same as impedance. 

http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/articles/hguide_art.htm#sens

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #30 of 43

Quote:

So a low impedance and sensitive IEM which is often used for portable devices can't be driven properly with a laptop ? If the amp can't drive a load with low impedance, is that not a problem ? How many consumers out there is supposed to know what the macbook's amp is designed for ?  I simply stated what I observed. The IEMs I use are indeed sensitive. Sensitivity is not the same as impedance. 

http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/articles/hguide_art.htm#sens

It was simply not designed for a very low impedance headphone. Neither are many expensive tube amps either. The apple headphones are 32 ohms, and most IEMs are 16 ohms.
I am aware sensitivity is not the same as impedance, but you implied the high sensitivity resulted in you hearing distortion, when its really the low impedance that is causing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back