Whats the worst amp ever?
Jan 13, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #31 of 43
macbook hp outs were designed for 600 ohm loads or something?

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #32 of 43
Quote:
It was simply not designed for a very low impedance headphone. Neither are many expensive tube amps either. The apple headphones are 32 ohms, and most IEMs are 16 ohms.
I am aware sensitivity is not the same as impedance, but you implied the high sensitivity resulted in you hearing distortion, when its really the low impedance that is causing it.

So it can't drive low impedances without distortion, and it won't have the voltage swing necessary for high impedances? I would define that as a pretty bad amp (to be expected in a laptop).

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #33 of 43
Exactly.

Quote:
So it can't drive low impedances without distortion, and it won't have the voltage swing necessary for high impedances? I would define that as a pretty bad amp (to be expected in a laptop).

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #34 of 43
headphone jack of no trades?

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #35 of 43
L3000.gif

Quote:
headphone jack of no trades?

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #36 of 43

Quote:

It doesn't have enough current for low impedance loads,
It doesn't have enough voltage for high impedance loads
It doesn't have enough power for low efficiency loads.

in other words, it can't drive any load!
LOL!

Jan 14, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #38 of 43

Quote:

Who said anything about low voltage swing? It drives my hd600's well enough. Obviously a dedicated headphone amp is better. Given the design limitations, the macbook headphone jack is excusable.

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #39 of 43

Quote:

He who must not be named has done extensive measurements of the new macbook air headphone amp

"While there are some significant concerns, overall the Air mostly lived up to Apple’s reputation for better audio and outperformed typical laptop headphone outputs I’ve tested."

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #40 of 43

Thanks for the link to the "Evil One's" review.
Bottom line is use high efficiency headphones or a good low output impedance headphone amp, and maybe a good DAC for good measure.

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #42 of 43

Quote:
Objective 2 
wink_face.gif
evil_smiley.gif
ph34r.gif

Really?  Not sure if you are trollin a bit.  It's too similar to the Benchmark DAC1 sig but slightly less refined for me but for the price and performance goal I think it does was it was designed to do.  I prefer my Leckerton for better transparency, resolution and more natural tone overall but the O2 can't be considered bad at all in my book.  Probably in the top 3-4 portable amps I've heard.

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #43 of 43

Users who are viewing this thread

Back