What's the ultimate player in terms of sound quality on the market?
May 24, 2009 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

sabatar

100+ Head-Fier
What's the ultimate (in production) mp3/other formats player on the market irrespective of price? I have Cowon D2 and Sony NWZ-A829. Both have excellent SA but I'm just checking if there's any since sony was released. Been away for some time.

May 24, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 32
sony x1000 and cowon S9 and more to come ... zune HD and the next ipod
biggrin.gif

check the sony x1000 thread ... i believe it's the best sounding player
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 32
Hang on, hang on, hang on. Can people post advice who have heard all of the alleged top 5 or something? Or are we just gonna take a blind stab in the dark? lol

Someone on here would probably need to point you out the best out of one of these probably:

Rio Karma
Imod
Sony X1000
iriver Hxxx

etc etc

But plenty of people have binned off the stock ipods, zune's and Cowons etc...

May 24, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #9 of 32
I can give you a link to a russian forum with direct comparison of all four models i've mentioned, but i doubt if you will be able to read it
smily_headphones1.gif

However, i've talked about all-in-one solutions. Maybe imod or h140 are better, but you should use an external amp with them.

May 24, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #10 of 32
Haven't heard a lot of these other players, but I've heard many flavors of iPod. It would be hard to convince me you could get much better, if any better, sound quality than the iMod 5G with portable vcap dock and amp. You get to a certain point where the sound is so good you stop wondering if it could be better. I have reached that point with my portable setup.

May 24, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

It would be hard to convince me you could get much better, if any better, sound quality than the iMod 5G with portable vcap dock and amp.

Pair up a H120/H140 with a high end DAC and it'll sound far superior to any ipod setup. You're still limited to the DAC and analogue section in a ipod.

May 24, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt8268 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't heard a lot of these other players, but I've heard many flavors of iPod. It would be hard to convince me you could get much better, if any better, sound quality than the iMod 5G with portable vcap dock and amp. You get to a certain point where the sound is so good you stop wondering if it could be better. I have reached that point with my portable setup.

It's easy to believe that what you have is as good as it gets if you've never experienced better.

May 25, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #13 of 32
I meant in a truly portable setup. If people are getting better-than-iMod sound from something portable (holdable easily in one hand), I'd love to know about it.

May 25, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by penartur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that the best are Kenwood HD60GD9, Kenwood MGR-A7, Sony PCM-D50 and maybe Korg MR-1.

I would add M-Audio Microtrack II to this list

Users who are viewing this thread

Back