What's the "smoothest" setup you've ever heard firsthand?
Mar 17, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #16 of 25
I can honestly say that the Eggleston Andra IIs I'm running with the TACT TCS MKII pre and BOZ 216/2200 amps (with the Andra IIs bi-amped and using external butterworth crossovers) is the smoothest setup I've heard. At the same time it does not sacrifice anything when it comes to precsion and detail.

Mar 17, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #17 of 25
Well not to gloat or anything, but I'd have to say the setup I've got. It's cheap as hell and I can listen to it endlessly in enjoyment (simple tastes perhaps?).

It goes like this:

---home---
SOURCES:
PS2 console/ Denon DCD2560/ Rio Karma at dock
INTERCONNECTS:
Acoustic Research cables, analog, digital, and power conditioning
AMPLIFICATION:
Sherwood RD7103
OUTPUT:
KLH 9250B "el Cheapo Supremo Speakers"/HD580's

The nice part is that the home rig and portable rig are actually quite close together thanks to the Karma. When docked or on the go, it delivers the smooth sound I want with the gear I've got, which is very effective within its budget point.

580smile.gif
Abe

Mar 17, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #18 of 25
I heard a pair of B&W 801's driven by a monoblock pair of Adcom amps thru an Adcom preamp. I think the CD player was a Rotel.

The sound had a "surround" effect that I will never forget. I looked around for surround speakers, and there were none. Ahhh, what a soundstage!

Another was a HUGE pair of Magenepans driven by Audio Research tube preamp/amp playing an LP. WOW. Like I was there with the musicians.

Mar 17, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #21 of 25
I think the big 'stats like Quads, Audiolab, Soundlab and even ML put out that smooth planar goodness that's hard to describe. They require real power and still lack the slightest bit of slam and dynamics (very much IMO) compared to regular cone base speakers. A great tradeoff though, and I'm always envious of a good planar based system.
Someday, when I can afford two high end speaker setups...
orphsmile.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #22 of 25
Head-Fi'ers --

Modwright 999ES --> HeadRoom Max --> Grado RS-1
The smoothest system known to man, simply unreal!

BANGPOD

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #24 of 25
In no particular order

a. Infinity IRS-Beta w Audio Research at CES
b. Dayton Wright XG8 with Dunlap Clarke amps
c. IMF Professional Monitor (the big ones with the KEF drivers) with Stax 300 amp
d. Magnepan MG20 at Lyric in NY

current fav: B&O beolab 5's. (simply: Oh My God)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back