What's the shape of your head? Bass, Treble, or V-shaped?
Jun 28, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #16 of 37
Quote:
Perhaps, all the bassheads are newbies who ask their first question and disappear, but that can't explain why no trebleheads are around.

Seriously, a lot of 'heads pass themselves off as neutral lovers. See the K701 wars in the full sized forum, for example. It's not always so accurate to ask someone directly, it's probably more accurate to just look at their favorite headphones and see what they say about other headphones. 

Jun 28, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #17 of 37
I like mid and treble. Bass just needs to be there. Mids I like powerful and treble....well I do own the RE0. :p
I guess that makes me a bass-lite head?

Jun 28, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #18 of 37
I guess I might be leaning more towards a V-shape since I favour the Voyager's contour sound a lot.
But I really like different 'phones for different music, too. I hate too little or too much bass.

I don't really get the fuss over "whether being an neutralhead makes you more of an audiophile" or not.
There's too much nonsense and hoohah when the subject of 'neutrality' is brought up. Seriously I say, just enjoy the music.

Jul 1, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #20 of 37
I like my music on flat or no EQ. Punchy bass is a priority, treble a close second, and mids a not-so-distant third. Does that make me a V-head or a basshead?

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #22 of 37
Hello,

EDIT : Sorry if I revived an old topic, it was the most appropriate place to post this I think
biggrin.gif

I like to have a generous quantity of basses but not overwhelming for the mids which must be beautiful and clear, I don't really like to hear a lot of highs it must really be laid-back, in the background, I like to hear end-highs though (above 17-18 Khz). I also like very large scene (Sennheiser IE8
biggrin.gif
!!). I like to have a lot of punch but not too much.

How do you call this type of signature ?

It would be something like that, but it is very approximative :

With the livingroom speakers from my mother which are relatively flat, I have to put the basses at +5 on the amp and -5 for the treble, I can have the same clarity in the mediums with those settings, it is absolutely gorgeous this way. However if I put the treble at or below -3 it becomes very muddy and the mediums are not clear anymore.

There is something I'd love to know, with the livingroom speakers from my mother the basses are very directive, you can't hear them properly when you're not in front of the speakers. I discovered Heco speakers which basses are like at the cinema :O and very clear mediums with laid-back highs. They sound this way even if the amp is set flat
biggrin.gif
! When I tried to put the basses at the max it was insane... If I could have the frequency graph of those it would be so great. 

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #25 of 37
i really like airy treble sounds.

what is a v-shaped sound?

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #26 of 37
My main focus is on the mids. I don't like any sort of recessed mids at all. I then like a decent amount of bass, but nothing too bad. I find the Triple Fi 10 and HD-600 is just about perfect for me. M50 and Denon D2000 is too much. It's strange because you look at the frequency graph of the D2000 and it doesn't look too bad. I also dislike huge mid-bass humps. Treble heavy headphones are also something I avoid! I couldn't stand the Grado 325i and SR-80 (without a mod) due to this. Certain Beyers are usually off my list. I actually sometimes prefer slightly rolled off highs. The highs on the AKG 701 are OK with me. SRH-840 can annoy my ears at times, but some people call them "dark". I don't get that!

I like bass, but not a headphone that has too little bass. This would be the RE0 (IEM), AD700 and yes even the AKG 701 with a decent amp. AKG 701 most definitely does have a decent amount of bass, but not enough for me.

Sometimes I only care about the quality of vocals too much. Instruments also have to sound really natural and accurate. I think overall my preference is close to being neutral.

Oct 7, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #28 of 37
Mids are definitely the most important for me, bass I prefer to be light and punchy and highs I can't say I care too much.  I like the etymotic sound a lot although having recently acquired a pair of tf10's I have to say I'm liking them more and more.  The tf-10's are supposed to have a V signature, and I do occasionally find the bass a little too much and mids a little recessed for my liking, but the sound is growing on me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back