"what's the search button" Headphones
Sep 24, 2007 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

crazymonkey

New Head-Fier
Basically I need help choosing a pair of headphones. I am leaning toward IEM's because of the isolation and me having a better chance of hearing the sound quality. I want to listen to all the detail and depths of my music. From Jazz, Rap, To Rock, to classical, to classical instrumentals. It is mostly for portable player. Needs to be a utilitarian as in I can use it for commuting, working out, studying and etc. My budget is $150. Currently I have closed headphones made from jackhammer ear muffs with Koss KSC 75 drivers inside. I don't have money for an amp. It needs to be as accurate as possible with decent bass that won't muddy and overpower the mids and highs. I feel like I am asking for the impossible with this budget. Willing to listen to recommendations to closed headphones but they have to be collapsible. Sort of new to IEM's. I love my music and want to be able to enjoy it without lugging huge headphones.http://hfimage.head-fi.org/smilies/n.../orphsmile.gif
orphsmile.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 8:29 AM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

I feel like I am asking for the impossible with this budget.

It is possible. Your budget is enough for an Atrio M5 (on eBay). If you want to spend less than $100, ER6i with Shure black foam tips is another good choice.

Sep 24, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 18
IMO, there are roughly four different classes of canalphones:
Less than/around $100 - from cheap canalphone (EP630, CX300) to entry level IEM (ER6i, Super.fi 3, UM1)
$100 to $300 - mid to high class IEM, Super.fi 5, Atrio M5, ER4, UM2
$300 to $500 - high class IEM, SE530, triple.fi 10
$500 and beyond - mostly custom IEM.

The most significant price/performance ratio jump usually happen in the low to mid class. Once you spend over a certain point, you might not get as much improvement as you might think. For example: paying $100 instead of $50 can get large improvement in IEM's SQ, but spending $200 instead $150 might not has as much impact.

Sep 24, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 18
^ I don't class cheap 'phones, i.e. EP630/CX300 as IEMs, they're Earbuds.

I regard the 'Monitor' part of IEMs to verge of reference. Well that was their original purpose, audio engineers & musicians to listen to intimate details. Don't see many EX71s on stage.

Sep 24, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 18
EB = Extra bass.

Sep 24, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #9 of 18
The EB version has A LOT of bass; some people like them, some don't. Do a search to learn more. I have the 5Pros and they are fun and musical IEM. To me, it's worth the little extra for the 5Pro for the additional detail you get.

Sep 25, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #10 of 18
didn't really try looking bout the EB. But the pro has mixed reviews. I was wondering if people were listening to the SPF after the burn in or when it was burning in. Also some people said that they weren't really accurate and stuff. Haven't searched for stuff on the atrio and ER4 or the Er6i.

Sep 25, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #11 of 18
IM716 or IM616 from Altec lansing, those were designed by Etymotics...

Sep 25, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #13 of 18
the altecs look uncomfortable even though they probably provided the best noise isolation. M5 looks good and SPF 5 Pro look good. Not sure which one to go with. A lot of people say SPF 5 pro. But I feel like M5 is under represented since UE is very popular.

Sep 25, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I don't class cheap 'phones, i.e. EP630/CX300 as IEMs, they're Earbuds.

I too don't class them as IEM, but isn't them more or less canalphone?

Sep 25, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too don't class them as IEM, but isn't them more or less canalphone?

I think of 'canalphone' as more of a generalisation for headphones which go in your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back