Whats the proper way to store IEMs when not in use?
Aug 27, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
Whats the proper way to do it, to limit chance of damage to them?

Most manufacturers suggest the following:
  1. Wind them up in some way so that the cables are neatly stored (this also avoids tangles)
  2. Put them in a case in a wound up fashion. (any case can do here since you just want them out of the exposed outside world/nearby items).  This way the case takes the damage and not the headphones.

I know of two ways to wind up cables:
  1. Wind them around three or four fingers (I normally do 4 unless the manufacturer recommends otherwise) and just store them like that.  When winding use the over under method if possible (Google this).
  2. Or follow ThinkSounds winding method (I trust using 3/4 fingers more though since it puts less stress on the cable): http://www.thinksound.com/care.php

Other notes:
  1. Don't wrap your cable around your iPod.  iPod edges can damage cables (put stress on them).
  2. Do not wind up too tightly.
  3. Don't pull on the cord to remove the headphones or headphone jack.  This just damages the cable.
  4. The majority of failures are due to cable damage and not driver/headphone damage.

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #4 of 10
Wipe the cables and tips before storing them and do the aforementioned cable-care steps. Also, if you know you sweat a lot and tendency is you might not use them the next day, stuff a small pack of silica gel in the pouch/case. Make sure you replace the silica pack once it changes color. Just make sure you buy one that does that, usually it's the ones in paper packets, but reseal the package where the paper packs come in otherwise they'll absorb moisture even before you use them. 

If you already have something like the Pelican or Otterbox cases, use that to store them at home (still with the gel packs) and keep the nylon case or cloth pouch for when you take it out of the house. When you get home just transfer to the plastic water-tight case. I won't recommend buying one unless you already have it or the IEMs came with one though, since those cheap silica packs aren't likely to absorb enough moisture in the fabric pouch/case to catch up to the cost of a Pelican. A small Lock and Lock container would do, but you might find it a little ghetto since it looks too much like it should have food in it, but I use the large one for my camera.

Aug 27, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 10
pelican microcase with westone dessicant pod. wipe and clean with microfiber cloth once a day. wrap around cord over 4 fingers neatly and store gently. do this for my two main iems. the cheaper ones i just wrap and store in any old hard case.

Aug 29, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #9 of 10
Christopher Walken's character in Pulp Fiction offers an interesting storage option for a watch head -- should work just fine for IEM's. 
wink_face.gif

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #10 of 10
This is how I store the ones I take with me when I go outside.

I wrap them around my 3 fingers and then put them in this Fisherman's Friend tin. It's the same size as Altoid tins etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back