What's the Problem with the Sennheiser IE800 Compared to Other IEMs?
Jan 27, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #16 of 27
I`ve had the ie800`s for almost a year and they are without a doubt the best in-ears I`ve heard, I recently tried the se846 and whilst they are admittedly the better overall package, the sound of the ie800`s is on a whole better. I`ve also owned the se535ltd`s and ie8`s for a while. What I found was:

se535 weaknesses:
-Poor extension on both ends of the spectrum, very little sub-bass, recessed highs, strained treble
-Midrange forward (though I like that so not really an issue)
-Build quality, nozzle can snap off, mmcx connector fails, I didn`t have these issues though
-Doesn`t convey as much detail as other high-end iems

ie8 weaknesses:
-Too much mid bass colors mids
-Recessed mids
-Little isolation

se846 remedies:
-Better bass response
-Build is better, bolstered mmcx, metal nozzle
-Highs still an issue

ie800 remedies:
-Mid Bass neutral
-Cleanest midrange of any iem
-Highs are much clearer but too forward to my liking
-isolation is much better, not as good as shures but atleast anything else with a good fit
-Ceramic shells don`t scratch or dink so they are pretty hardy
-No plastic

Of course both iems are overall better than their older counterparts but Shure have not really remedied their primary weakness, their highs and clarity/details, if they had done so I would have bought them but Shure remains disappointing and the ie800`s are here to stay. That is not to say the ie800`s are better, they most certainly are not, but the sound and build are both a little step up and the design is a big step down, they really are great in design but poor in execution and it ends up depending on the buyer`s priorities, but I personally like the discrete look of the Sennheisers and no one has ever said to me they looked cheap but instead complemented their mature yet bold styling, then they put them in their ears....

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #17 of 27
I was eyeing the ie800 for a while, and admit am a little of a Senn fanboy.  But to that point, wanted to be open-minded, so considered the se846.  I was never a fan of Shure's design for their earphones, they look like jelly beans.  The ie800 looks more it's price to me, it doesn't look like anything else.  But when I started diving into reviews/comparisons/opinions, the se846 started making me sense to me.  Particularly, the bass signature (subwoofer effect), calmer treble, and much less microphonics.  Senn hasn't been doing good in the microphonics department.  I had a pair of cx 985 and omg, sounded like a trash bag everytime I moved my head.  I was sad to hear even at the price-point of the ie800, it was still there.

So I bit the bullet and bought the se846.  Couldn't believe it, because for the longest time, hadn't considered anything else but the ie800.  But I'm sure I made the right choice for my preferences.  The bass is amazing, vocals are like they're right there, the fit and isolation right out of the box is just perfect, no microphonics noise!  The only knock I have against it is the soundstage, it sounds like the ie800 beats it here.  But totally feel I got my moneys worth, and that makes me happy when I spent so much :)

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #18 of 27
  I was eyeing the ie800 for a while, and admit am a little of a Senn fanboy.  But to that point, wanted to be open-minded, so considered the se846.  I was never a fan of Shure's design for their earphones, they look like jelly beans.  The ie800 looks more it's price to me, it doesn't look like anything else.  But when I started diving into reviews/comparisons/opinions, the se846 started making me sense to me.  Particularly, the bass signature (subwoofer effect), calmer treble, and much less microphonics.  Senn hasn't been doing good in the microphonics department.  I had a pair of cx 985 and omg, sounded like a trash bag everytime I moved my head.  I was sad to hear even at the price-point of the ie800, it was still there.

So I bit the bullet and bought the se846.  Couldn't believe it, because for the longest time, hadn't considered anything else but the ie800.  But I'm sure I made the right choice for my preferences.  The bass is amazing, vocals are like they're right there, the fit and isolation right out of the box is just perfect, no microphonics noise!  The only knock I have against it is the soundstage, it sounds like the ie800 beats it here.  But totally feel I got my moneys worth, and that makes me happy when I spent so much :)

there would be only one way to know... you must also buy ie800...

i, for one, have to buy akg k3003, ie800, ultrasone iq to know the difference. buying second hand from around here, if i can, would mean that i would end up spending much less than buying new.

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #22 of 27
For most people, these in ears doesn´t matter, One example, a young man did buy a IE800 set for his girlfriend, As soon she did find out what they cost, she ended the relationship, probably thinking her boyfriend was a lunatic spending 700 Euro on an ear set, Most people might prefere more bass due to the modern popstyles, but this is irrivelant, as most are not prepared to pay over 100 Euro. That is why Soundmagic is very populair, only 50 Euro and topnotch, can easy compete with the 100 Euro competition.Also Sennheiser and Sony understand this, as they offere great in ears for low prices, but the IE800 is a statement and maybe the technique of these might find their way to lower priced new IEM´s to come. 

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #23 of 27
I have the IE800's, K10 and the Layla's. I use the Layla's balanced with AK380 and I use the IE800 for everything else. Hell...I still use the IE800's for the AK380. The Layla's can be pain to fit sometimes. The IE800's are real bargain compared to the top  end IEM's out there. I auditioned the SE846. Man was the sound bland and flat.

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #24 of 27
These are the earphones I would choose if I and when have the funds.

Sep 1, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #25 of 27
I have both an IE800 and a Fitear Parterre, but before getting the IE800, I'd auditioned both it against the SE846. I dunno, I found the latter to be so heavy in the bass front, and muddied mids....I found it to lack the clarity I sought. Not saying it was bad, it just wasn't my cuppa. The first time I put on the IE800, after trying out the SE846, I had more or made up my mind that it was the one I'd wanted. Still, I tried the SE846 again and it only reaffirmed my decision to go with the IE800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back