1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

What's the point in using ASIO for audio playback?

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by xnor, Sep 15, 2009.
First

Back
1 2
  1. leeperry
    he actually posted some supposedly jitter improvement measurements: cMP² | CMP / 03Jitter

I think most of his HTPC building advices are really great, but they're good to follow if you're a perfectionist...I don't really expect any SQ improvement(which is great BTW on my setup at this point [​IMG])

I even read the xxhighend(another smokey player) coder on computeraudiophile.com(which is filled w/ ppl who believe in the most ludicrous things) saying that he cannot stand the sound of ASIO and prefers WASAPI by far.

when you start comparing bit-perfect audio renderers, something REALLY isn't right IMHO [​IMG]

except for a bad implementation of course, like xbitlabs mentioned here: Universal Soldier: ASUS Xonar D2 PM Sound Card Review (page 9) - X-bit labs

that's the thing, a poorly coded windows driver can totally ruin any bit-perfect audio renderer.....like the Asus soundcards that resample ASIO/DirectKS if the fixed sample rate in their drivers doesn't match the file you're playing, they don't offer any bitmatched playback whatsoever.

so a wonky ASIO/DirectKS miniport implementation can indeed sound bad....can't tell about WASAPI, but it needs WaveRT drivers to really shine I think?

2. b0dhi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    he actually posted some supposedly jitter improvement measurements: cMP² | CMP / 03Jitter

These don't really say much about the cMP/cPlay tweaks though, since there are no measurements without cMP/cPlay. Also I would expect a jitter analyser to be used instead of inferring jitter from frequency response.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I even read the xxhighend(another smokey player) coder on computeraudiophile.com(which is filled w/ ppl who believe in the most ludicrous things) saying that he cannot stand the sound of ASIO and prefers WASAPI by far.

when you start comparing bit-perfect audio renderers, something REALLY isn't right IMHO [​IMG]

Agreed...

First

Back
1 2