What's the point in using ASIO for audio playback?
Sep 21, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #31 of 32
he actually posted some supposedly jitter improvement measurements: cMP² | CMP / 03Jitter

I think most of his HTPC building advices are really great, but they're good to follow if you're a perfectionist...I don't really expect any SQ improvement(which is great BTW on my setup at this point
biggrin.gif
)

I even read the xxhighend(another smokey player) coder on computeraudiophile.com(which is filled w/ ppl who believe in the most ludicrous things) saying that he cannot stand the sound of ASIO and prefers WASAPI by far.

when you start comparing bit-perfect audio renderers, something REALLY isn't right IMHO
redface.gif

except for a bad implementation of course, like xbitlabs mentioned here: Universal Soldier: ASUS Xonar D2 PM Sound Card Review (page 9) - X-bit labs

that's the thing, a poorly coded windows driver can totally ruin any bit-perfect audio renderer.....like the Asus soundcards that resample ASIO/DirectKS if the fixed sample rate in their drivers doesn't match the file you're playing, they don't offer any bitmatched playback whatsoever.

so a wonky ASIO/DirectKS miniport implementation can indeed sound bad....can't tell about WASAPI, but it needs WaveRT drivers to really shine I think?

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #32 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he actually posted some supposedly jitter improvement measurements: cMP² | CMP / 03Jitter

These don't really say much about the cMP/cPlay tweaks though, since there are no measurements without cMP/cPlay. Also I would expect a jitter analyser to be used instead of inferring jitter from frequency response.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I even read the xxhighend(another smokey player) coder on computeraudiophile.com(which is filled w/ ppl who believe in the most ludicrous things) saying that he cannot stand the sound of ASIO and prefers WASAPI by far.

when you start comparing bit-perfect audio renderers, something REALLY isn't right IMHO
redface.gif

Agreed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back