What's the next step up from AD700s?
Nov 2, 2011 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

geoxile

100+ Head-Fier
I mainly use my headphones for gaming and use my speakers for music, but recently I've been realizing that the channel splitting is just much more distinct on headphones. I usually have virtual surround sound on for gaming so I forgot how great music sounded in just stereo. I'd like to get something with wing flaps though, since they're the only band design that keep my hair from flattening completely. I usually have the headphones on for hours at a time when I'm at my PC so with any normal headbands I'd probably end up with completely flattened hair. I'm thinking the AD900s as a logical step up but I'm willing to spend 100-200 or so I guess. It's either that or I get HD-25-1-IIs and keep the headphone listening to portables and keep using my speakers while I'm on the PC.

Nov 2, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 7
If you like the fit and sound signature than I see no reason not to get the AD900.  The AD700's comfort is its main thing going for it imo, so if you absolutely love its comfort no reason not to get the AD900.  I've heard the AD900 fixes timbre issues the AD700 had, which I think is a major plus.  Honestly my biggest complaint about the AD700's sound isn't its lack of bass-- it's its off-timbre tonality.

Nov 2, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 7
X2 on the AD900's. They are better than the 700's in every aspect. 

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #4 of 7
The AD900 is definitely the logical choice at the $200-220 mark.

If you're willing to spend more than that, though, start shopping around for vintage Stax Lambda setups. Those who like the AD700s will probably love those, if they can afford them.

Nov 2, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #5 of 7
 X3 for the AD900s. If you like a headphone in a lineup like the AD series, the most logical step up is one within that line, you'll get many of the same characteristics, but refined and improved. Also, do you have an amp?

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
 X3 for the AD900s. If you like a headphone in a lineup like the AD series, the most logical step up is one within that line, you'll get many of the same characteristics, but refined and improved. Also, do you have an amp?

Xonar DX sound card. I've been thinking about replacing that too but it seems to serve my gaming and music needs fairly well. I'm not sure if it amps the front panel headphone jack though.

Nov 2, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Xonar DX sound card. I've been thinking about replacing that too but it seems to serve my gaming and music needs fairly well. I'm not sure if it amps the front panel headphone jack though.

The Xonar series is pretty good in the way of amping. You might notice a small difference with an amp, but I don't know if I would go for it just yet. Save up and get yourself a nice amp later :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back