What's the next step in my hifi endeavors? got: Senn 555, RE262, Sony SS-B3000 bookshelves /w Dayton DTA-1 Amp
Jan 24, 2013 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ensiferum

New Head-Fier
I'm set on portability, just got the IEMs and I like em a lot. Now looking for an upgrade in sound at home. Better speakers? Better headphones? Would a headphone amp help tremendously? I've done the 555 to 595 mod.

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 6
There is always better stuff to buy :wink:

First you need to give more detail about your source(s) and the amp that powers your speakers, as well as your budget.

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 6
Whoops. I've got an Asus XONAR DG sound card. Cheap but I hear good things about the Xonar line, and it sounds good to me. The amp is the Dayton DTA-1:

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-DTA-1-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B001PNOH2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359073643&sr=8-1&keywords=dayton+dta-1

Budget I'm not sure about, because this is a future purchase, just planning right now. Maybe $200?

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #4 of 6
If you want to improve on your Sony speakers, you could start watching Craiglist for good used speaker deals. No reason not to buy ten year old speakers that are in good working condition. They have plenty of life left, and speaker technology has not changed that much.

The Xonar DG is a decent entry level sound card, but you could certainly improve the sound you get from your computer by upgrading to a separate DAC and headamp. The Schiit Audio Modi/Magni are a popular combination at the moment. Or if you want something that can also be portable for $300 there is the O2 and ODAC. There is some discussion in this thread about both: http://www.head-fi.org/t/641630/magni-modi-vs-odac-o2

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 6
Alright, since I'm wanting a cheaper, short-term solution for the time being to drive my 555s and RE262s, I'm gonna get the FiiO E11.

I wouldn't mind upgrading my speakers btw but the CL where I live is abysmal. Rural area with bad selection and inflated prices :frowning2:

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #6 of 6
That's no fun for shopping for used speakers. :frowning2:

Ebay can work for buying used speakers, but it's really not cost effective until you get up to around maybe $200 or more because shipping has to be factored in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back