What's the Must Have amp right now?
Oct 12, 2002 at 8:59 AM Post #18 of 133
I will always lust for a Blockhead.

Oct 12, 2002 at 4:09 PM Post #20 of 133
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
what if you were to ask joe bloggs?

Meta42, Prehead (should be = the Corda blue and then some) and HeadRoom Max/.../... (though that's more like 'always had to have') are what I chose...

Why me?
confused.gif
What were you expecting?
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 12, 2002 at 4:31 PM Post #21 of 133
Isn't this poll a little self-seving to the thread starter? Shouldn't he disqualify himself and his own product from the list? I'm not suggesting impropriety per se, but it is coincidental that the META is #1 so far...

And where's the ZOTL, the EMP, or any Melos product?

Mark

Oct 12, 2002 at 4:35 PM Post #22 of 133
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Isn't this poll a little self-seving to the thread starter? Shouldn't he disqualify himself and his own product from the list? I'm not suggesting impropriety per se, but it is coincidental that the META is #1 so far...

Mark

[/size]

And some folks here think I'm the hardass?
wink.gif

I think eric343 asked this as a member, not a manufacturer of META42's. And, besides, it's a poll, and he can't control what others vote. Even with my most strict moderator face, I can't see any ad value in this thread/poll. Let's face it, there has probably been more discussion at Head-Fi recently of META42 variation amps than any other, so if it gets a lot of votes, it shouldn't be too surprising. So, to answer your question, I do think it's coincidental. Did you vote for the META42 because eric343 opened the thread?
tongue.gif

Oct 12, 2002 at 4:42 PM Post #23 of 133
Quote:

Mark

i wasnt going to bitch about the fact that the EMP wasnt listed, but now you have..
[size=medium]WHERE'S THE "Earmax Pro"![/size]
mad.gif
wink.gif

Oct 12, 2002 at 5:01 PM Post #24 of 133
Quote:

And, besides, it's a poll, and he can't control what others vote. Even with my most strict moderator face, I can't see any ad value in this thread/poll. So, to answer your question, I do think it's coincidental. Did you vote for the META42 because eric343 opened the thread?

OK, maybe it's a bit conspiratorial and possibly far-fetched, but my line of thinking was that the META folks could have e-mailed their (no doubt) satisfied, happy customers to participate in this handy-dandy poll. I didn't want to spell it out in my original post because I thought people might roll their eyes. But if I had an amp-building business, I'm just shrewd and calculating enough to give something like this a shot, so why not someone else....

And yes, if the META or any other amp, wins as "most coveted", to a newbie reading the poll, I think that would indeed have a very *strong* influence. But that's my opinion.

Mark

Oct 12, 2002 at 5:18 PM Post #25 of 133
Quote:

And yes, if the META or any other amp, wins as "most coveted", to a newbie reading the poll, I think that would indeed have a very *strong* influence. But that's my opinion.

Mark

and that wouldnt be the worest thing either.
all this (self)moderating business is getting in the way and its very ugly.

Oct 12, 2002 at 5:28 PM Post #26 of 133
Quote:

OK, maybe it's a bit conspiratorial and possibly far-fetched, but my line of thinking was that the META folks could have e-mailed their (no doubt) satisfied, happy customers to participate in this handy-dandy poll. I didn't want to spell it out in my original post because I thought people might roll their eyes. But if I had an amp-building business, I'm just shrewd and calculating enough to give something like this a shot, so why not someone else....

Comment withheld.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 12, 2002 at 5:40 PM Post #28 of 133
If the consensus is that I'm out of line, then I'm out of line. I have no ill-will toward the META people, but I saw this poll, the surprising (to me) results so far, put two and two together and got five, and the wheels just started turning.

Carry on!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mark

Oct 12, 2002 at 5:55 PM Post #29 of 133
OK, maybe it's a bit conspiratorial and possibly far-fetched, but my line of thinking was that the META folks could have e-mailed their (no doubt) satisfied, happy customers to participate in this handy-dandy poll. I didn't want to spell it out in my original post because I thought people might roll their eyes.
I'm rolling my eyes alright...

1. The "META folks" as you call them appear to have enough work to keep them busy without stooping to the tactics you suggest. These are individuals who do this in their spare time.

2. I've only had the pleasure to deal with one of the "META folks" (who I should point out were just DIY'ers and builders of amps long before the META42 was designed) and he is a man of the highest integrity. Read some of the postings in Buyer/Seller feedback...

But if I had an amp-building business, I'm just shrewd and calculating enough to give something like this a shot, so why not someone else....
I am sincerely glad that you are not.

Quote:

And yes, if the META or any other amp, wins as "most coveted", to a newbie reading the poll, I think that would indeed have a very *strong* influence. But that's my opinion. Mark

I don't know how much influence can be drawn from a single poll but there may be some validity here. But it's not necessarily a bad thing. And if the META was a commercial offering would you even be posting this ?

Oct 12, 2002 at 6:20 PM Post #30 of 133
Highwaystar,

If Headroom posted this thread, I'd absolutely raise the same questions, you bet.

However, I will admit it did seem odd to me that a brand new home-brewed amp would be so far out ahead of the more established commercial products. But if that is what people legitimately want, then I can't really argue with the results. Maybe it has been discussed so much because the builders are around here to answer questions, whereas Headroom is restricted to its own area. Whatever the reason, I would not have picked the META to be be a front-runner.

If nothing else, you must admit that this poll certainly illustrates the power of this board to influence buying decisions.

Also, the META folks, whether they're doing this in their "spare time" or not are not giving their amps away or selling them at cost. It is a business.

Finally, a poll in which so many people on the board are participating in and will continue to participate in certainly will, if nothing else, influence the particular amps people will investigate that they might not have looked at or known about otherwise.

I don't want to generate any more ill-will against myself. It took me two seconds to look at this poll and concoct the scenario I did. Maybe it does say more about me than the META folks.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back