What's the most you're willing to pay for an AKG K1000?
Jun 21, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #17 of 38
Pay what ever you think its worth, but if you can get them for USD 700 I would say its about the right price, however still USD 700, so maybe you just have to buy a spare pair of drivers instead.

Jun 21, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald North /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One million dollars
wink.gif

Austin_Powers_Mike_Myers_as_Dr_Evil.jpg

LOL pretty much. I'd pay whatever it took. I like these better than any other headphone.

Jun 21, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i contacted them and they do indeed have plenty replacement drivers and parts in general. Just a bit expensive at around $400 for the pair.

Thanks for the confirmation!
Just in case one of my pairs die on me it is great to hear that AKG have the parts to fix it.

Jun 21, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #20 of 38
Just a few days ago I paid 1300 EUR = 1800 USD for one of the last NIB from last production year with serial# 114xx.
Twelve years ago I paid 1000 DM = 500 EUR = today 700 USD 2nd hand for my first K 1000 with the K 1000 Selector which I've owned happily for 9 years.

Just for me, the K 1000 is worth the money charged for, particularly when I look at all the new high-priced stuff nowadays, which seem to me like toys against the K 1000.

IMO, the K 1000 is one-of-a-kind and well worth the same price of every current new high-end headphone.

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by raffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think this is the case for Grado HP-1/2s. I owned a pair of HP-1s last year and called Joe Grado to see how much it was to "tune-up" my pair. He told me he can pretty much take it apart, check it out and rebuild it with new HP-1 drivers for around $700. Granted, it is very expensive but still available.

I contacted him last month and was given the response of

"Sorry, we no longer have parts for those cans"

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K1000's are more open than any other. The drivers are exposed in front and back, with only a wide mesh to protect them. It's not needles you have to worry about - it's dust, hair, and any other microscopic particulates that could possibly touch the wrong part of the driver assembly in the slightest of manners.Absolutely! .

This is simply not true and pretty alarmist having owned two pairs of k1000s with one pair being completely uncaged for the better part of two years, they are one of the most robust headphones I have owned.

While I've seen and experienced grado's with a hair in the driver area cause a low frequency rattle, I've never seen it reported with the k1000s. So are you talking from experience or conjecture?

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never seen it reported with the k1000s. So are you talking from experience or conjecture?

One of my four pairs had this issue. Others have posted such experiences as well. I'm glad you weren't one of them.

And I'd hardly call the voicecoil wiring "robust". Many cable modders wouldn't touch K1000's, given how easy they are to "F"-up.

You are welcome to opine that my 25% failure rate, plus the anectotal evidence of other's similiar experiences, is "alarmist". However, if people are now faced with the prospect of spending upwards of $1500 for a pair of used, out-of-production (for several years), headphone, I think even a few such actual stories would be good information, warranting at least some investigation & thought.

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #24 of 38
I don't use a lot of hair product, so I'm not worried about damaging the voicecoils with my hair.
tongue.gif

spiked_hair.jpg

Then again, I keep my hair short. And I seriously doubt jpelg has problems with his hair getting stuck in the K1000's, unless he wears them like Nikongod.
biggrin.gif

Only headphones I've had issues with hair getting stuck against the drivers were Koss Porta Pros (happened all the time) and an HD650. (protective foam on the inside really likes to hold onto hairs).

I like the open mesh, it actually prevents wayward hairs from getting stuck.

-Ed

Jun 21, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #25 of 38
On a more serious note, wasn't there some issues with the drivers of earlier serial number production K1000's? Perhaps they fixed that issue with later models? I remember hearing about problems and older models sounding different than newer ones. I have a late model one, serial numbered in the 10k+ range.

-Ed

Jun 22, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of my four pairs had this issue. Others have posted such experiences as well. I'm glad you weren't one of them.

And I'd hardly call the voicecoil wiring "robust". Many cable modders wouldn't touch K1000's, given how easy they are to "F"-up.

You are welcome to opine that my 25% failure rate, plus the anectotal evidence of other's similiar experiences, is "alarmist". However, if people are now faced with the prospect of spending upwards of $1500 for a pair of used, out-of-production (for several years), headphone, I think even a few such actual stories would be good information, warranting at least some investigation & thought.

Jimmy don't all open back headphones have both the front and rear of the driver exposed? Unlike you, I have not met a modder that would not work on my K1000s. The DIYer that did my rewire did it at a meet at my home and worked on them balancing them on his knee. So while I guess there are people that 'won't' work on any item for a myriad of reasons my experience does not call out the k1000s as something that many people decline to work on.

I would point out that k1000s to date do not seem to have any higher a failure rate than do other headphones. Heck I'd be more wary of the R10 or Qualia than I would a k1000 from a failure/repair standpoint and even they seem to be workable.

I guess we approach this from to different angles, I tend to not be risk adverse if the payoff is high and to me the sonic benefits of the k1000 outweigh it's real or perceived risk.

To the OP I'd pay around a grand for these, personally I'd take a well used pair for $800-$1000 then a minty pair for $1500 but that's just me.

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #27 of 38
I recall reading postings describing the older ones as having more bass/warmth, and the newer ones being leaner. I wouldn't say the older ones have a problem, they are just different. I have some with serial # < 5000 and they sound great.

For example http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/k...ml#post5772250

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a more serious note, wasn't there some issues with the drivers of earlier serial number production K1000's? Perhaps they fixed that issue with later models? I remember hearing about problems and older models sounding different than newer ones. I have a late model one, serial numbered in the 10k+ range.

-Ed

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #28 of 38
I'd go $1000 for a perfectly mint NOS pair, and $700 or so sounds right for a used pair that's been around the block a few times. I lucked out and got a pair for a great price just after they stopped selling them, when they were really hard to find. I really wish they still made them!

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #29 of 38
i've had mine since 2001 with about 3000 hours of listening...no problems.If, you believe they are the best and want to use them in a system setup for speakers .I'd pay 13-14 k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back