What's the most you're willing to pay for an AKG K1000?
Jun 20, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #2 of 38
got one for sale?
L3000.gif

Jun 20, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #3 of 38
One million dollars
wink.gif

Austin_Powers_Mike_Myers_as_Dr_Evil.jpg

Jun 20, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #5 of 38
$13-1400 for a NiB (New in Box) one. If the box is opened the price will drop...
Paid a lot less for my last pair, but then again they are used and have a dint in one of the grills.

Jun 20, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #6 of 38
When I was out to get my K1000, I had the limit of €900. That'd be about $1250 USD.

Jun 20, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #7 of 38
i would say $950-$1050.

judging by recent ebay auctions, it doesn't seem like the price of the K1000 has held up in these depressed markets.

Jun 20, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #8 of 38
$0.00

These are long discontinued, and (more importantly) have drivers that are both prone to failure due the headphone's inherent open design AND unobtainable from AKG anymore. The only "backup" is a second pair. It is also questionable if AKG would even service them if you provide the parts.

Despite my love for the K1000's (I've owned four pairs), given the recent influx of new high-end cans such as the HD800, PS-1000, Edition 8, I find it impossible to invest in an expensive discontinued can again.

The real question is what would you pay for a new pair if AKG put these back in production again?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$0.00

These are long discontinued, and (more importantly) have drivers that are both prone to failure due the headphone's inherent open design AND unobtainable from AKG anymore. The only "backup" is a second pair. It is also questionable if AKG would even service them if you provide the parts.

Despite my love for the K1000's (I've owned four pairs), given the recent influx of new high-end cans such as the HD800, PS-1000, Edition 8, I find it impossible to invest in an expensive discontinued can again.

I thought that AKG had plenty of drivers? That is what was said about a week ago by another member, can't remember who.

Anyways, I'd pay $1200 for one in perfect condition and $1000 for one in less than stellar condition.

Jun 20, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

$0.00

The real question is what would you pay for a new pair if AKG put these back in production again?
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah this is the same feeling I have about other discontinued headphones that no longer have parts available such as the HP1/HP2, R10, and Qualia 010.

If any part of the headphone were to break you'd be out whatever you paid or you'd have to buy a backup pair for spare parts.

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah this is the same feeling I have about other discontinued headphones that no longer have parts available such as the HP1/HP2, R10, and Qualia 010.

If any part of the headphone were to break you'd be out whatever you paid or you'd have to buy a backup pair for spare parts.

I don't think this is the case for Grado HP-1/2s. I owned a pair of HP-1s last year and called Joe Grado to see how much it was to "tune-up" my pair. He told me he can pretty much take it apart, check it out and rebuild it with new HP-1 drivers for around $700. Granted, it is very expensive but still available.

Jun 20, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought that AKG had plenty of drivers? That is what was said about a week ago by another member, can't remember who.

Anyways, I'd pay $1200 for one in perfect condition and $1000 for one in less than stellar condition.

i contacted them and they do indeed have plenty replacement drivers and parts in general. Just a bit expensive at around $400 for the pair.

Jun 21, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

$0.00

How are the drivers prone to failure by their inherent open design? They have a strong metal mesh protecting them. I suppose they are prone to having needles poked through the mesh, but then they are no more vulnerable than any other open headphones.

And what you say is true of any discontinued headphone, which included the HE90, Omega 1, R10, Qualia 010, etc. etc.

-Ed

Jun 21, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i contacted them and they do indeed have plenty replacement drivers and parts in general. Just a bit expensive at around $400 for the pair.

Considering their retail price was close to $1200, that's sounds about right.

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are the drivers prone to failure by their inherent open design? They have a strong metal mesh protecting them. I suppose they are prone to having needles poked through the mesh, but then they are no more vulnerable than any other open headphones.

The K1000's are more open than any other. The drivers are exposed in front and back, with only a wide mesh to protect them. It's not needles you have to worry about - it's dust, hair, and any other microscopic particulates that could possibly touch the wrong part of the driver assembly in the slightest of manners. Quote:

And what you say is true of any discontinued headphone, which included the HE90, Omega 1, R10, Qualia 010, etc. etc.

Absolutely! While Sennheiser seems to be supporting the HE90's for the time being, the others you mention are not so lucky. Sony has totally abandoned Qualia owners, and a broken R10 driver turns them into a $6000 doorstop. Grado HP-1000 drivers are reportedly quite limited, or possibly gone at this point, not to mention being dependent on one elderly (if still vital) man. I don't know about Stax's stance on supporting the Omega I's though.

The point is that I wouldn't invest such significant $$'s in any of them. They had their time, and current owners should enjoy them. But there's too many great, less expensive, fully warranteed & manufacturer-supported products out there right now for me to chase the others down & pay obscene money for them. But that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back