What's the most you ever lost on a coin toss; Beyer DT770 or DT880?
Jul 23, 2008 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Crackerman

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I'm totally stuck between these two headphones. I recently bought the Denon D5000's but I'm forced to sell them for financial reasons, so I'm currently looking for a cheaper alternative to save for in the coming months.

I've read a few reviews of both but I thought it would be best to come straight back to the source and ask in here. To be more specific the kind of sound I'm looking for is something very warm but still punchy, perhaps even with slightly rolled off highs (as much as I enjoyed the D5000's I found them a touch sibilant at times, especially when paired with an amp.) I listen to a lot of rock but it also ranges from electronica to classical, ambient, folk and all sorts of other things. I'd be using them for movies too.

I'd probably be using them with a Zero amp/DAC which is something I've also been looking at recently. So, should I go for the cheaper option of the DT770's or spend a little extra on the DT880's?

Thanks

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 17
Dare I say neither headphone is for you. From what you're looking for, I'd suggest a Grado (SR225) or perhaps a Sennheiser (rolled off highs & lots of mids? HD650 or HD600 maybe). Given that you want to use these for a lot of varied things, I'd say check out the HD600. If it were just for rock and a few other genres on the side, I'd say pick up a SR225. Depends on how much time you spend watching movies and listening to classical vs. rock music, I guess. Also, the sennheisers won't be sibilant.

The DT880 is going to give you all the highs, and they're not going to drown you in mids, either. The DT770 is all about bass, and I guess the mids tend to seem recessed because of that (the opposite of what you want). The 770 is really not on the same field as the 880 either.

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #3 of 17
What about the isolation differences between the two (closed and semi-opened). Let say u're using the 770 and someone is standing next to you and talking to you. Can you hear them?

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jincuteguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the isolation differences between the two (closed and semi-opened). Let say u're using the 770 and someone is standing next to you and talking to you. Can you hear them?

yes, even with music playing

and the title reminds me of
two-face.jpg

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, even with music playing

and the title reminds me of
two-face.jpg

Really? I thought the 770 supposed to do a good job at isolating since it's a closed cans. I guess the semi-opened DT880 and opened DT990 is even let you hear the surroundings even more

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jincuteguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I thought the 770 supposed to do a good job at isolating since it's a closed cans. I guess the semi-opened DT880 and opened DT990 is even let you hear the surroundings even more

they block out the noise from a laptop or tower fan, something an open can wouldn't do, but aren't as isolating as a "clampy closed can" like the sennheiser hd280

i mean, i can still hear the phone ring on the other side of the house, even with music playing

Jul 23, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #7 of 17
what are you all talking about? I cant hear a thing with my dt770's on. They drop the ambient by an easy 16-18db. For good measure I tried quiet comfort 2's sitting next to an air conditioner with music playing, and then the dt770's. The beyers blocked out more noise and sounded better. So I'm not sure what you all are talking about being able to hear the phone or someone next to you. Infact, a tree fell on my fence today and my mom was confused why I hadn't noticed, supposedly the noise was deafening and she cant' hear a darn thing.

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #9 of 17
I agree with Fuzydice. While the dt880 is a good all-arounder, they are still bright, even slightly harsh during the first hundred hours or so. After a very extended burn-in, the highs calm down, but they are in no way rolled-off. The bass is good too, but there can be warmer options out there for you. And, like Fuzydice mentioned, the dt770's are not even in the same ballpark as the dt880's...

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dye1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what are you all talking about? I cant hear a thing with my dt770's on. They drop the ambient by an easy 16-18db. For good measure I tried quiet comfort 2's sitting next to an air conditioner with music playing, and then the dt770's. The beyers blocked out more noise and sounded better. So I'm not sure what you all are talking about being able to hear the phone or someone next to you. Infact, a tree fell on my fence today and my mom was confused why I hadn't noticed, supposedly the noise was deafening and she cant' hear a darn thing.

Can you hear your own voice when you talk even though it blocks noise out pretty good? I just hope it's not like those Sennheiser closed cans which when you talk , you can hear your voice echo through the headphones.

Jul 23, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #12 of 17
Okay well the DT880's are definitely out if they're known for being bright, but now a new contender has entered the arena: the HD650's.

I used to own a pair of HD595's but I sold them because I found them two bright and airy. The bass had a nice punch but there was no warmth or depth to it, and sometimes it really set my teeth on edge. I appear to be overly sensitive to higher frequencies. This experience is what put me off looking at higher-grade Sennheisers, but looking around here a lot of people describe the 650's as being pretty warm. How is the bass with them? How do they differ from the HD595's?

Jul 23, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crackerman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay well the DT880's are definitely out if they're known for being bright, but now a new contender has entered the arena: the HD650's.

I used to own a pair of HD595's but I sold them because I found them two bright and airy. The bass had a nice punch but there was no warmth or depth to it, and sometimes it really set my teeth on edge. I appear to be overly sensitive to higher frequencies. This experience is what put me off looking at higher-grade Sennheisers, but looking around here a lot of people describe the 650's as being pretty warm. How is the bass with them? How do they differ from the HD595's?

The HD650 as a cheaper replacement for the D5000?????
I thought the HD650 are pretty expensive.
Having owned some DT770's, I don't think you want them. They don't have rolled off highs, and don't sound warm either. And they are sibilant.
Great isolation though.

Jul 23, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #14 of 17
Well, the HD650's are still expensive, but considerably cheaper than the D5000's. To be honest I wish I didn't have to sell them but I don't really have a choice at the moment.

I could always just wait until I can afford to buy another pair I suppose.

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #15 of 17
Whatever you decide on, I would suggest to get it used so that it will still retain most of its value if you eventually sell it to get another d5000. This will also help you keep some of the money you are trying to save by selling the d5000 in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back