What's the most overrated can?
Jul 31, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #31 of 126
Some interesting ideas, llysender. Thank you.

The AudioTechnica R70x looks like it could potentially be a good alternative. I would probably have to pass though on the Shure 1440 based on Tyll's plot. As it looks quite strident in the upper midrange, and not as well extended in the bass as some Senns, like the 58x. I looked at Tyll's plot of the MSR7 as well. And it also looks a bit forward in areas of the upper midrange. Though different than the Shure 1440. And better extended in the bass. So that might be a little better fit for my ears.

If anything, I tend to like headphones which are a little on the warmer and bassier side of neutral, rather than on the brighter side. But that's just my personal taste.

Anyone else have any ideas on this?
If you want something bassy slightly dark the ollo S4 is pretty nice. You just have to ignore all the bs on the site about the being a flat headphone.

Jul 31, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #33 of 126
Which would those be?

Without getting expensive, the first immediate step-up is the Focal Elear (can be regularly had used for $400-500). Surprisingly similar sound signature and coloration as the HD6XX, with definitively better bass quantity and quality, and elevated resolution and detail retrieval.

Jul 31, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #34 of 126
I appreciate the input, bagwell359.

Fwiw, I don't buy used. And $500 is well outside of my price bracket. So suggestions along those lines would be less helpful to me. They might help someone else though.

My question still stands though (for anyone who cares to try answering it). What is better than the Senn 600 or 650 in the same or lower price range that's easily obtainable, if you believe either one is over-rated?

So I see. :)
I got my HD600 forever ago (my son is 15 and I had them way before I met his Mum!)

I have tried other headphones since b it not kept any long term except the HD660s - I like both and when they have a good source they definitely sound like they are from the same family!! However the 600 don’t sound as good with less powerful sources.

I’m still looking for a closed back for at home listening when it’s noisy in the house or others need quiet but I really like that Sennheiser sound.

Long answer to say that to me, for the money they are a great answer to your question!

Jul 31, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #35 of 126
DT880. I've owned one since 2010 and it has been boring me to death ever since. I would sell it but the $80 or so it's worth to someone isn't even worth the trouble to me to throw it in a box and print a label. So it sits in it's case....

Jul 31, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #36 of 126
I appreciate the input, bagwell359.

Fwiw, I don't buy used. And $500 is well outside of my price bracket. So suggestions along those lines would be less helpful to me. They might help someone else though.

My question still stands though (for anyone who cares to try answering it). What is better than the Senn 600 or 650 in the same or lower price range that's easily obtainable, if you believe either one is over-rated?

So I see. :)

I don’t think they are overrated as they are studio headphones. But there is a headphone that is better than both while being in the same price range, the Shure SRH 1840.

It is quite possibly the most flat headphone I have ever heard. You will not hear any wiggling if you do frequency sweeps. Far more expensive headphones have a frequency response that is like a rollercoaster ride, going up and down all the time.

Also it is faster, more detailed and also has a better soundstage than the HD 600 and HD 650.

However it measures poorly due to very high THD%. But that is why the headphone is so cheap and is mid-fi tier.

But the HD 650 is a safe bet for most people who wants a good headphone for very little money. I have recommened the HD 650 to many friends and family members and they are happy with it.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #37 of 126
I don’t think they are overrated as they are studio headphones. But there is a headphone that is better than both while being in the same price range, the Shure SRH 1840.

It is quite possibly the most flat headphone I have ever heard. You will not hear any wiggling if you do frequency sweeps. Far more expensive headphones have a frequency response that is like a rollercoaster ride, going up and down all the time.

Also it is faster, more detailed and also has a better soundstage than the HD 600 and HD 650.

However it measures poorly due to very high THD%. But that is why the headphone is so cheap and is mid-fi tier.
How does thd% affect the sound practically? Is it the added rumble in the bass?

Jul 31, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #38 of 126
The most overrated headphone ever is the Z1R. Because there was so much hype about this headphone (this was before Tyll his review), I bought it without testing.

One of the basics tests I do everytime is checking if it beats my cheapo $300 Sennheiser HD 650. It failed horribly. There is a massive treble peak that just killed my ears with the wrong music.

I ended up settling for the Campfire Andromeda as my office “headphone” and was able to return the Z1R without fees luckly.

Jul 31, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #39 of 126
How does thd% affect the sound practically? Is it the added rumble in the bass?

There is alot more bass than the frequency response would indicate indeed. However the bass is not as clean and clear like it should be.

Jul 31, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #40 of 126
There is a massive treble peak that just killed my ears with the wrong music.
Yeah that happens with wrong music. What was it? Justin Bieber? I try to avoid wrong music the best I can, Before clicking on a Youtube link I always make sure the music is right.

Jul 31, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #41 of 126
Yeah that happens with wrong music. What was it? Justin Bieber? I try to avoid wrong music the best I can, Before clicking on a Youtube link I always make sure the music is right.

A $2200 headphone should handle any type of music, especially if it is high-res audio.

If the Z1R was $500, I might have kept it :p

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #42 of 126
I sent a pair of Sennheiser HD660S over-ears back earlier this year. The sound was so underwhelming to my ears. I really wanted to like them as they felt just right on my head and were very light in weight. I liked the oval shaped earcups. It was just the sound quality that disappointed.

Jul 31, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #43 of 126
The most overrated headphone ever is the Z1R. Because there was so much hype about this headphone (this was before Tyll his review), I bought it without testing.

One of the basics tests I do everytime is checking if it beats my cheapo $300 Sennheiser HD 650. It failed horribly. There is a massive treble peak that just killed my ears with the wrong music.

I ended up settling for the Campfire Andromeda as my office “headphone” and was able to return the Z1R without fees luckly.
How dare you dishonor the Z1R's good name! The Z1R is a gentleman and a scholar! You are a barbarian to have come to such a conclusion!

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #44 of 126

But the HD 650 is a safe bet for most people who wants a good headphone for very little money. I have recommened the HD 650 to many friends and family members and they are happy with it.

No, not overrated. The HD-600 has more bass, and doesn't have as much of that 7-8k edge that the 1840's have. 600 is also more transparent and tonally correct, and is an all time great can, but the 1840 is perfectly reasonable.

Aug 4, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #45 of 126
No, not overrated. The HD-600 has more bass, and doesn't have as much of that 7-8k edge that the 1840's have. 600 is also more transparent and tonally correct, and is an all time great can, but the 1840 is perfectly reasonable.
I have issues with the hd600 but more importantly how can you say with a stright face that the hd600 is trasparent when it smooths the sound out so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back