What's the most beautiful city in the USA?
Feb 10, 2003 at 9:07 PM Post #31 of 55
the last time i was in the bay area (sf) i was blown away by how beautiful it was. i was at a bird sactuary overlooking the bay in the sun, a layer of fog over the city whilest the blue angels flew stunts overhead.

i also like seattle when it is grey and rainy. sometimes i'll wear sunglasses to make it even murkier and gloomy. it is the kind of weather trendy people hate, so i feel right at home lurking around in it.

Feb 10, 2003 at 10:14 PM Post #32 of 55
1. San Francisco - I was born there so i'm a bit partial
biggrin.gif
Absolutely stunning in the FALL. I think it all depends on what part of the city you live in to know whether or not you like it. I suggest Russian Hill and North Beach. Stay away from SOMA if you don't like the big city feel.

2. Los Gatos, CA - its a city next to a city so to speak. Close to San Jose (downtown) and it has a very small city feel to it. A nice quaint little downtown with beautiful shops. The people here are nice, but a few rich snobby folks (not as bad as Saratoga though)

3. Carmel, CA - Stunning ocean views, great little town, and you have neighboring Monterey to visit.

4. Lahaina , Maui HI - Awesome getaway place! A kind of town you'd like to spend a few years doing nothing in. Once you become a local, you are IN.

Feb 10, 2003 at 10:23 PM Post #33 of 55
Chicago!!! Chicago!!!

We have fantastic ethnic neighborhoods that are full of great restaurants with some of the best food in the world. There are world class cultural institutions, colorful sporting events, the shore and beaches of Lake Michigan. If you want an American city with character as well as characters, this is it. I'd also say that Mayor Daley is the best big city mayor in North America.

Also here are Music Direct, Intelligenstsia Coffee, the Goose Island Pub, and the ultimate head-fe maven, Tuberoller.

Feb 11, 2003 at 12:08 AM Post #36 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by stan23
Carmel, CA - Stunning ocean views, great little town, and you have neighboring Monterey to visit.

Is Clint Eastwood still the mayor??
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2003 at 12:27 AM Post #37 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
Is Clint Eastwood still the mayor??
biggrin.gif

Nope, he's a California parks commisioner now...

He still lives there along with Brad and Jennifer plus some other Hollywood players.

cool.gif

Feb 11, 2003 at 12:37 AM Post #38 of 55
Neil,

I think of WWII when I think of Scranton. Something about that bridge. (I think it's called the War Memorial Bridge). that and the signs that say "If you past this same spot three times in 1 hour you will pulled over and possibly arrested". I was sweating it for awhile there when I got lost and was visiting the city. It's a nice retirement community. Very quaint. And like every other city in the North East gets gloomy when the October clouds roll in. The Port Jarvis area (especially if you cross into NY) is scenic. Pennsylvania is a nice retirement state as they won't tax you after 65. But they tax your 401K and pension until then.

When it comes to overcast skies, the same thing happened when I went to Yellowstone National Park. I would drive south into Wyoming and it became overcast and dreary. I would go back into Montana and the sun came out. It must have been a weather patter because it didn't change over the two weeks I was there.

Feb 11, 2003 at 4:23 AM Post #39 of 55
Center City Philadelphia has more ye olde charme than anywhere else I've been in the US. N'awlins -- Garden District, French Quarter, etc. -- very nice. Many parts of Washington DC are quite lovely, with broad streets, beautiful old row houses and more trees and parks than any other city in the country. I guess it's a "territory" or something, but San Juan, Puerto Rico's old city is probably as beautiful a neighborhood as you can get to from the US without a passport.

Feb 11, 2003 at 6:20 AM Post #40 of 55
I haven't traveled a lot, but here's my choices:

Big city:
Washington, D.C.

Small town:
Sedona, AZ (last time I visted was over 7 years or so ago, though)

Feb 11, 2003 at 6:28 AM Post #41 of 55
I've been around various U.S. cities... For the combination of weather/comfort level and the beauty of the area, Seattle would ahve to be it.

For sheer beauty, some of the less touristy areas of Hawaii are incredible.

I'm a Seattle-guy... and probably always will be. So my first choice would be Seattle. Having such a vast amount of mountains and trails to hike/bike in/on, mountain tops to view from, ... it's amazing when you get away from the smog of the city. [Which is beginning to be really noticeable... almost annoying. This is why I hated being in L.A.]

Dec 2, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #43 of 55
This is kind of a hard question and of course very subjective.

But here are some mentions:

Seattle……Gorgeous landscape. It is a little strange that so many Americans have never visited this city but it is worthy.

San Diego…….There’s something about California that’s so beautiful.

San Francisco…..I agree with the previous comments. Also, if you’re flying into San Francisco, there’s a good chance you can see the city from sky level view from your airplane. It’s actually gorgeous.

Malibu…….Another gorgeous California beauty…also add most of the coast of California too. You’ve seen it movies or TV shows. You know what I’m talking about !

Small towns in coastal New England……places like Cape Cod, Marthas Vinyard, Newport Rhode Island…..etc….I love New England so much.

Catalina Island……I know this sounds crazy but it is a part of Los Angeles county. And many Americans have never visited or even heard of it.

It’s like a mini version of the Mediterranean Sea.

Catalina island is one of my favorites places to visit in the USA. Here’s what it looks like. Hard to believe it’s Los Angeles. Don’t always believe negative things you hear about LA. It can be a wonderful place.

F91E1A2F-8D1E-4678-BCBA-10B0BCCEB410.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #44 of 55
There’s a lot of cities that I did not mention. And while I do like them, I cannot place them on my top list as beautiful places.

However, a less physically attractive city can be more fun than a beautiful looking city. Basically the same principle with people too,

Dec 2, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #45 of 55
Also, I agree with comments about Sedona, Arizona. I feel that it’s like visiting a beautiful painting. And the art work is surreal.

Additionally, Sedona is so unique looking that it attracts a lot of European tourists.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back