What's the first song you play on a new pair of headphones?
Jul 15, 2012 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Supertoaster

500+ Head-Fier
Whenever I get a new pair of headphones I like to have one song I play on them first. I always choose Don't Stop Me Now by Queen just because I like it.

What songs do you like?

Jul 15, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #3 of 41
Usually whatever I'm into at the time is what I'll grab first, because I've probably heard it on repeat most frequently at the time. But there's a few tracks I like to grab in the first few hours of listening, including VAC - Crypulse, ZN - Booster, and some various rock tracks (Beatles - Come Together, Skynyrd - Double Trouble or I Ain't The One, etc). My "bass test" track is (somewhat embarrassingly) Lil Wayne - Lollipop (the LF hit on this is pretty intense though, on speakers or headphones).

Jul 15, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #5 of 41
Feist - "1234 (Van She Tech Remix)"

It's the first song that ever gave me an eargasm with a pair of headphones, some Denon D5ks on a Fiio amp.  So seeing how golden it sounds to me on a new set of cans makes sense.  Sorry 'bout the poor quality of the YT vid, it's the best I could find.

Jul 15, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #7 of 41
The audio quality in that Feist video is pretty poor. But cool song, thanks for sharing. Here's the Spotify link, it sounds a bit better:

http://open.spotify.com/track/52yx2Xwt57jrR3QRBsntBG

BTW, in case anyone is unaware... changing the video resolution of Youtube vids also changes the audio quality. 1080p sounds by far the best.

Jul 15, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #8 of 41
I play whatever is in my cd player. After I get over the wow factor, out come my reference CDs (Dead Can Dance, Angus & Julia Stone etc) for an analysis of the phone.

Jul 15, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #9 of 41
For the last three pair of headphones, I brought each of them to life with Abraham Laboriel, Sr - "Holidays" (Dear Friends - 1993). 

Jul 15, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Wow, very nice recording. Thanks.

Glad you liked it. I've seen him live a couple times and really enjoy his work. Not many people know him by name, but some of his songs (e.g. "Sweat Pea", "Colors", "Arms of a Woman") have been in movies/commercials, and the song I mentioned was featured during the finale of the tv show E.R. several years ago. 

Jul 15, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #14 of 41
Jul 15, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #15 of 41
I also mentioned this on the "Songs that make your headphones WOW" thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/142023/songs-that-make-your-headphone-wooooow

but Scott Weiland - 12 Bar Blues is an amazing album through headphones with a wide soundstage and good imaging. Each instrument sounds like its coming from a different direction. An absolute classic in my book and especially great through my HD600s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back