What's the equivalant speaker system of your setup?
Sep 26, 2011 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Masta Angler

New Head-Fier
I thought this might be a fun and interesting thread to start (and forgive me if theres a similar thread) but my question is: If you had to buy a speaker system to replace your headphone setup what would it be? Keep in mind similar sound quality, price, and location in your house. This can't just be your dream setup lol it's got to be a speaker system you think is equivalent of your current headphone setup.

I think my headphone setup would be equivalent to a pair of Paradigm S2's with an Anthem PVA 2 amp.

What's yours?

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 6
Apples and oranges, really. Speakers can do things that headphones can't, like project a soundstage and produce real bass.

Also, my speaker rig cost less than my headphone rig.

Headphone rig: Eddie Current Zana Deux ($1,900) and Sennheiser HD-800 ($1,400) for a $3,300 total.

Speaker rig: Conrad-Johnson PV-2 and MV-52 ($300 and $700, respectively, used) with ProAc Response 2.5 clones ($1,000, DIY) for roughly $2,000.

Tonally, the HD-800 and Response 2.5 are similar, with a little more high-end definiion on the HD-800, but romping, deep bass on the clones.

The clones get used about 90% of the time. Better with video and I can also roam around with the speakers on.

Sep 27, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 6
That's true. I was just browsing some rigs today and thought man if that were an equivalent speaker setup it would be outrageous! Seeing how much time, money, and effort people put into their headphone rig is amazing. That's why I was curious to see what and how much people would spend to get their desired sound from speakers.

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #4 of 6
There is no need to spend thousands to get an equivalent system.

Only 1 Grand will be sufficient. :)
Yes, I can get 3 D holographic sound from only 2 speakers with my current setup.

My speakers only cost US$199 from Amazon with super saver shipping thrown in.

You can google "Alesis Monitor One Mk2 Passive".
These are used by Million Dollar recording studios.
They are really cheap and good.

As for amps, my Neuhaus Labs T2 amps only costs US$795 (+US$40 shipping).
These can go head to head with "branded" amps costing 3 to 4 grand.

In fact, my budget external speaker system sounds much better (and is cheaper!!!) than my headphone system made up of Woo Audio 2 Amp and Beyer DT880 cans.

Sep 29, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #5 of 6
I used to have the Alesis Monitor One Mk2 Passive, yea they have a soundstage that is like stepping into the music they are a quality pair of speakers that have sound quality well beyond there price tag. The soundstage comes from the speakers not the amp, I ran them with a cheap samson servo 300 power amp (class a/b , dual mono design) that you can buy for $250 / £150 and will drive these speakers to there max, there probley even work well with a cheap t-amp as there quite efficient at 88db @1watt 1metre theres really need to spend $800 on a amp to drive them, you can have the same "3 D holographic sound" for $300.
There not without there flaws though I found them a bit soft sounding for my tastes also there not that punchy but do have good clean tight sub bass down to about 50hz, I replaced them with another budget monitor the behringer b2031p's, the behringers have much better treble there metal tweeters are incredibly accurate and always have the right tone I now realise the limitations of silk domes, the behringers are also more punchy and don't sound soft like the alesis's, they have a good soundstage and can fill the room with sound well but it's not 3d sounding like the alesis.

Sep 29, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #6 of 6
I'm now using the KRK Rokit 6 G2 as my monitors, which are very nice for the money. Given the acoustics of my office though, I don't think that even the mighty Event Opal could compete with my Stax headphones. Certainly the Dynaudio BM12A ($2K/pr) monitors could not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back