What's the difference between 3d positioniong and sounstage?=)
Jul 11, 2006 at 7:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

denl82

Banned
Sup fellas
smily_headphones1.gif

I've been doing a lot of reading for new $200> cans that would do good for electronic music+fps gaming (bf2, q4/q2, enemy territory, america's army), and the top choices seem to be the a900 and the dt770 ( and the hd595, in a somewhat distant 3rd). What I've been reading is that the dt770 has greater 3d positioning than the a900, while the a900 has a better/bigger soundstage than the dt770.

My question is, what is the difference between a soundstage and 3d positioning? And what is more important yet fun and immersive for hardcore fps gaming AND music?

Finally, which headphone--either the a900, the dt770, or the hd595--has the best combination of both a great soundstage and excellent 3d positioning?

So far, I think I'm going to buy the a900s asap, because they're highly recommended for gaming and music, has comparable bass to the dt770s afaik, and in all doesn't need an amp to hear a high percentage of their quality. Either that, or the hd595 headphone, 'cuz I'm not sure how pissed my family would be when they discover that I'm wearing headphones that completely blocks them out (I'm all the way downstairs in the basement=) ).

Anyways, Thanks for your help everyone
tongue.gif
Have A GREAT DAY!
orphsmile.gif

FYI I listen to ambient, trip hop, and downtempo electronic music in particular
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #2 of 5
imagine a live jazz band playing at a jazz club venue. the piano is at the front left of the stage. the bass is at the rear right, the drum at the middle left, the singer at the front right. you are 2 ft below the stage sitting just 8 ft away.

if a headphone can portray 3d positioning accurately (assuming the recording captures everything) you will be able hear the distinct locations of each instrument on stage. the sound is not all meshed together.

in terms of sound stage you will be able to hear how wide, deep and high the sound stage is. it shouldn't be wider or narrower or deeper or taller than the true distances of the instruments relative to one another.

for electronica or synthesized music all bets are off. sound staging and depth are determined by the recording/mixing engineer.

Jul 11, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocktboy
for electronica or synthesized music all bets are off. sound staging and depth are determined by the recording/mixing engineer.

I agree with you on everything but this point. The ability of a headphone to resolve multilayering and room reflections will determine how well it works with electronica, and some headphones do it better than others.

Jul 11, 2006 at 12:34 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocktboy
if a headphone can portray 3d positioning accurately (assuming the recording captures everything) you will be able hear the distinct locations of each instrument on stage. the sound is not all meshed together.

Because recording isn't done with just a stereo pair of microphones anymore, but having up to several microphones on each player, and partly using artificial reverbs and equalizing, sound staging will be almost entirely in the controls of the mixing engineer, just like with non-acoustic music, which can also have a huge soundstage with 3d and all...

Jul 12, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for your replies guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Rocktboy, thx for ur explantion of the difference between 3d positioning and soundstage=)

Anyone knows which headphone out of the hd595, a900, and dt770 has the best combination of the two sound qualities? How would these headphones rank in a scale from 1 to 10 for 3d positioning and soundstaging?

Once again, thank you for your help guys
tongue.gif
Cya guys later
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back