What's the deal with speakers ?
Sep 24, 2018 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

nishan99

500+ Head-Fier
Hi

I always been a headphone guy and a lot of times i hear that good speakers are way better than headphones.

I didn't think about the speakers because of the noise they produce and room treatment they require, but today i gave them a chance and i went to audio stores in my city and i listened to good amount of speakers from bookshelf ones to full tower ones, from Klipsch, Yamaha, jamo...etc.

Yeah they were all good, but i did not enjoy listening to music with them as much with my headphones.

My modded M1060 gives me better immersion, intimacy & distance than any speaker i listend to.
yeah they sound huge and real but i did not felt immersed with sound like a good pair of headphones.

is something wrong with me for not liking speakers that much ?

the only circumstances i see them superior to headphones are for watching tv or movies with surround sound system.

Sep 24, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 42
Hi
I always been a headphone guy and a lot of times i hear that good speakers are way better than headphones.
I didn't think about the speakers because of the noise they produce and room treatment they require, but today i gave them a chance and i went to audio stores in my city and i listened to good amount of speakers from bookshelf ones to full tower ones, from Klipsch, Yamaha, jamo...etc.
Yeah they were all good, but i did not enjoy listening to music with them as much with my headphones.
My modded M1060 gives me better immersion, intimacy & distance than any speaker i listend to.
yeah they sound huge and real but i did not felt immersed with sound like a good pair of headphones.
the only circumstances i see them superior to headphones are for watching tv or movies with surround sound system.
Un-powered speakers, like the ones you heard in a store, are for filling up a whole room or concert with audio, for multiable people to listen to and enjoy (or getting loud).
On Head-fi, there is more "speaker talk" dedicated to studio monitors (self-powered speakers).
I would say studio monitors are more about bring out the accurate detail in the audio,
so I would say studio monitors would sound more like a headphone sound.
With a typical studio monitor, the tweeter and the woofer each have there own separate amplifier, so you would have two amplifiers buit into each studio monitor unit (so two units is a pair studio monitors), good setup for detailed audio.
More for one person to listen to, like a pair of studio monitors on a desktop, setup on each side of the computer monitor.
With un-powered speakers, a single amplifier (like built into a receiver) would be used to drive the tweeter, mid range and woofer, in one tower speaker unit, maybe not as good for detail, but it's cheaper then building three separate amplifiers into a speaker tower.

Sep 24, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 42
A stereo loudspeaker system needs proper placement for proper staging and imaging.
705940.jpg

And headphones are absolutely more intimate xD

Who knows what was driving those speakers to, and nothing against klipsch or jamo, but something more comparable to 100mm planars might be like... salks or something with raal tweeters, scanspeak drivers, more advanced crossovers. Kef, revel, dali. I mean the m1060 cost the same as some klipsch floorstanders...

Sep 24, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 42
Hi

Short answer is that your not used to that presentation and your probably not used to anything near the sound signature of those speakers.
I would never want a speaker with the sound signature of thr TH-600 but i love those headphones, likewise I would I wouldn't want the soundsignature of my HE-500's as a speaker but they are still phenomenal headphones.
The placement and shape of the stage is very different between headphones and speakers, some speakers make the size of the singer wrong but the body and tone right; headphones cram it all into a small space but don't always capture the body.

Un-powered speakers, like the ones you heard in a store, are for filling up a whole room or concert with audio, for multiable people to listen to and enjoy (or getting loud).
On Head-fi, there is more "speaker talk" dedicated to studio monitors (self-powered speakers).
I would say studio monitors are more about bring out the accurate detail in the audio,
so I would say studio monitors would sound more like a headphone sound.
With a typical studio monitor, the tweeter and the woofer each have there own separate amplifier, so you would have two amplifiers buit into each studio monitor unit (so two units is a pair studio monitors), good setup for detailed audio.
More for one person to listen to, like a pair of studio monitors on a desktop, setup on each side of the computer monitor.
With un-powered speakers, a single amplifier (like built into a receiver) would be used to drive the tweeter, mid range and woofer, in one tower speaker unit, maybe not as good for detail, but it's cheaper then building three separate amplifiers into a speaker tower.

Not always true, I and many other head-fiers use unpowered (aka passive) nearfield monitors. Studio monitors aren't always more detailed than hi-fi speakers either.
Though this is very much a speaker based debate, no audiophile or studio engineer would ever argue that outboard power amplifiers are cheaper or worse than those built in to active monitors. I've actually literally never heard that claim before.
There are two main reasons for that:
1) mass produced active monitors can't be to big or to heavy due to where your going to place them (on a desk), meaning that the cant be much bigger than a standard bookshelf speaker but have to be powerful, clean sounding AND adequately cooled all for less than the price of separates.
2) you can put more engineering into separates than into a combined system, it's like stax making an electrostatic headphone with built in electrostatic amp. Sure it's do-able but chances are it'll be bigger, heavier and have to sacrifice something to achieve it. You can do a dual mono amplifier or mono blocks, with beefy power supplies, better capacitors and gargantuan heat sinks that weigh 50LB; you cant easily strap that onto a speaker for the same results.

There are a lot of Active main monitors though, probably more on the market than their are passives now too.

Sep 25, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 42
Hi

Depends on what speakers and whether you have a proper room. Otherwise you might as well use headphones than basically have speakers have their hands tied.

And the money. You need a lot of money. For the house that has a room, for the acoustic treatments, for gear that has a response as wide as headphones while still smooth throughout, etc.

Even in car cabins that are far from the best locations, you use speakers because 1) headphones aren't exactly safe for driving as even moderate output as far as ear safety is concerned can block road noise physically and 2) you can do acoustic treatments in a car and install them properly at proper angles otherwise even Focal Utopias will sound like crap in a car.

Sounds like you went to a Magnolia or Best Buy. What I'd listen with if I had money for really good speakers would be Focal, Dynaudio, Sonus Faber, Duevel, Aurum Cantus...basically all the stuff you can't find in a chain store the same way you can't just get an HD650 from Best Buy.

You're too used to headphones the same way people who are too used to speakers hate how headphones can't image and they can't get the chest thump and bass goosebumps when speakers with larger or multiple bass drivers thump out bass drums or the low range of a symphony.

They're better for real stereo imaging and having bass that radiates through the room so you can feel the bass drum on your chest or the cellos and double bass along with the large brass instruments making your skin crawl right before the whole symphony kicks back in.

Sep 25, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #6 of 42
Sep 25, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 42
Depends on what speakers and whether you have a proper room. Otherwise you might as well use headphones than basically have speakers have their hands tied.

And the money. You need a lot of money. For the house that has a room, for the acoustic treatments, for gear that has a response as wide as headphones while still smooth throughout, etc.

Even in car cabins that are far from the best locations, you use speakers because 1) headphones aren't exactly safe for driving as even moderate output as far as ear safety is concerned can block road noise physically and 2) you can do acoustic treatments in a car and install them properly at proper angles otherwise even Focal Utopias will sound like crap in a car.

Sounds like you went to a Magnolia or Best Buy. What I'd listen with if I had money for really good speakers would be Focal, Dynaudio, Sonus Faber, Duevel, Aurum Cantus...basically all the stuff you can't find in a chain store the same way you can't just get an HD650 from Best Buy.

You're too used to headphones the same way people who are too used to speakers hate how headphones can't image and they can't get the chest thump and bass goosebumps when speakers with larger or multiple bass drivers thump out bass drums or the low range of a symphony.

They're better for real stereo imaging and having bass that radiates through the room so you can feel the bass drum on your chest or the cellos and double bass along with the large brass instruments making your skin crawl right before the whole symphony kicks back in.

i just went again and listened again with more speaker including the expensive and active Pioneer RM-07, they were really great and better sounding than the Klipsch's full towers imo, they produce sub bass like a subwoofers :D while still having the rest of the range in check. And they are build like a an actual tank !

Still i didn't like the presentation of all speakers, they give front imaging and that's lame imo.

It's like if i have to chose to sit in front of concert or i have to tell the the performers to sit around me, and that's a big deal and selfish so you can't get that irl, but headphones gives it to you.

yeah there are some speakers that gives the sense of depth as well, but no even close the headphones's holographic presentation around your head, and i don't think a wider front imaging, chest and hair bumps be more valuable than the holographic presentation of headphones it's just too immersive to trade.

and as you mentioned maybe i am not used to that presentation but it definitely did not grab me after two long auditions, and i don't think more premium speakers will change my opinion that much because most of the speakers i listened to were great but the presentation is a big turn-off to me.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #8 of 42
they give front imaging and that's lame imo.

You still havent heard a proper stereo system then. If all the delay and timing information is in the mix and the speakers are properly placed like in the image i posted above you should experience properly rendered spatial cues and room ambiance that will essentially sound like a surround image, while a front image will be most predominant(like a live show/concert), sound will swell and fill the room.

For me personally, even the best headphone staging cant compare with loudspeaker(real or virtual) stereo in terms of size and space and location, again for me, thats more important, but for you the intimacy of headphones is more important.

Sep 25, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #9 of 42
Hola - newbie here to Headfi but not to audio. I enjoy both loudspeakers and headphones. For speakers, you need to determine what types of music you most listen to, and what size room they will be in. Then decide on general types of speakers: big room-fillers, high efficiency, open baffle, hybrids, etc. From there you can determine appropriate amplification. Budget matters of course. Like most music lovers, I've been through many many speaker setups. I'm currently using Tekton Design quasi-open baffle speakers (OB 4.5 model) and tube amplifier since the speakers have good efficiency (92db). Love the tube sound and quickness of the speakers. I listen to a lot of electronic/ambient stuff -- very little rock/pop etc.

Positioning of speakers is critical for some speakers, less critical for others. But you'll need to experiment in your own room to get the best stereo imaging and best performance from the speakers. Once I have found mine, I put some blue painter tape on the floor to note exactly where they should sit.

Sep 25, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #10 of 42
Hi

IMO, speakers are better especially when positioned at a equilateral position and has little room resonance. IMHO, I haven't heard a headphone that rivals my Yamaha HS7 speakers in imaging, soundstage and tonality. That includes Mr. Speakers VOCE and HD800, Grado GS1000. Even the IEMs I've heard such as the U18T, Fourte, Andromeda don't sound correct tonally compared to a run-on-the-mill Yamaha HS7 speakers. The closest IEM is the KSE1500, but it falls short on impact and instrument placement compared to the HS7.

Sep 25, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #11 of 42
I do wonder if anyone could listen to something like a nice pair of MartinLogan electrostatic loudspeakers with decent placement/room treatment, powered by a nice class A Pass Labs amp and preamp with a Chord DAVE (or Hugo TT 2) + Hugo M Scaler, and walk away honestly preferring headphones?

On the other hand, headphone systems should cost much less than really good speaker systems, and are much easier to deal with.

Sep 26, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #12 of 42
I do wonder if anyone could listen to something like a nice pair of MartinLogan electrostatic loudspeakers with decent placement/room treatment, powered by a nice class A Pass Labs amp and preamp with a Chord DAVE (or Hugo TT 2) + Hugo M Scaler, and walk away honestly preferring headphones?

On the other hand, headphone systems should cost much less than really good speaker systems, and are much easier to deal with.

Price difference isn't that big for a lot of systems though, Monitor Audio or entry level B&W bookshelf out of a Yamaha A-S801 would cost more than many "entry level" headphone setups but still sound better than a good a mount of "summit" setups.
Kef LS50's powered by Schit products are all the rage here and on many other Audiophile websites and magazines and those definitely aren't Martin Logan priced or finicky.

Sep 26, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #13 of 42
i just went again and listened again with more speaker including the expensive and active Pioneer RM-07, they were really great and better sounding than the Klipsch's full towers imo, they produce sub bass like a subwoofers :D while still having the rest of the range in check. And they are build like a an actual tank !

Active speakers tend to do the low end better for a couple of reasons:

1. They tend to be used from shorter distances ie nearfield. Bass frequencies might in theory reach longer distances if you think of how AM freqs are longer than FM freqs (or how that ghetto Cadillac can rattle your windows from six blocks away), but in practice, as far as human ears are concerned, bass is harder to hear and even measurements tend to show that.

2. They have an active crossover feeding separate amplifier channels for the tweeters and midwoofers, instead of a single amp channel going into a passive crossover that splits the signal into the drivers. This allows easier matching of the gain on the midwoofers' amps vs the tweeters' amps depending on room acoustics and listener preference.

A Full Active car system also works that way, on top of which it allows for time alignment for each driver.

Still i didn't like the presentation of all speakers, they give front imaging and that's lame imo.

Well...the stage is supposed to be where they are, not circled around one guy. Of course, hey, if you can afford private performances, well, kudos to you.

It's like if i have to chose to sit in front of concert or i have to tell the the performers to sit around me, and that's a big deal and selfish so you can't get that irl...

The whole point in a proper speaker system is to sound like real life, where you hear the whole slew of instruments within a certain space with both ears, not one ear hearing one channel each.

...but headphones gives it to you.

yeah there are some speakers that gives the sense of depth as well, but no even close the headphones's holographic presentation around your head, and i don't think a wider front imaging, chest and hair bumps be more valuable than the holographic presentation of headphones it's just too immersive to trade.

"Holographic" actually refers to where the instruments are on stage and not the rather selfish intent to feel like several people are performing for just one person that stands in the middle of them.

And actually it is speakers that can give a real sense of depth since you can hear both drivers and thus the imaging cues as when they were recorded by two microphones playing within a room. Without Crossfeed or recordings designed for headphone playback what you're getting as "holographic" or "sense of depth" are some of the sounds getting pushed too far forward away from the stage towards you, like how Grados seem to suggest that all recordings were done to look like the Fantastic Four retired and Reed Richards was on the drums as the cymbals are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out to the flanks and the front. Which, you might notice, is not possible, because no human has ever reacted to gamma radiation by turning into stretchable rubber.

and as you mentioned maybe i am not used to that presentation but it definitely did not grab me after two long auditions, and i don't think more premium speakers will change my opinion that much because most of the speakers i listened to were great but the presentation is a big turn-off to me.

You're really just used to music being presented that way from having used only decent headphones and maybe some crap PA speakers that aren't even set up for proper imaging, plus there's your need to feel like you're the center of the world for the performers, so in that sense there's really no substitute for headphones.

Although of course you could always just improperly position speakers to get the same effect. Like sit in the middle with both aimed directly towards you, as with headphones.

But then again, there's no point in getting a Scala Utopia if you'd just position them improperly with the goal being to make them sound like headphones, when the goal precisely is to make them sound different (or conversely, headphones are trying to catch up to that with headphone playback-specific recordings, Crossfeed, angled drivers, etc), so if headphones that try to sound like speakers aren't your thing, just avoid anything with angled earpads and driver mounts (most especially the AKG K1000) or anything with Crossfeed (like Meier and iFi).

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #14 of 42
Active speakers tend to do the low end better for a couple of reasons:

1. They tend to be used from shorter distances ie nearfield. Bass frequencies might in theory reach longer distances if you think of how AM freqs are longer than FM freqs (or how that ghetto Cadillac can rattle your windows from six blocks away), but in practice, as far as human ears are concerned, bass is harder to hear and even measurements tend to show that.

2. They have an active crossover feeding separate amplifier channels for the tweeters and midwoofers, instead of a single amp channel going into a passive crossover that splits the signal into the drivers. This allows easier matching of the gain on the midwoofers' amps vs the tweeters' amps depending on room acoustics and listener preference.

A Full Active car system also works that way, on top of which it allows for time alignment for each driver.

Well...the stage is supposed to be where they are, not circled around one guy. Of course, hey, if you can afford private performances, well, kudos to you.

The whole point in a proper speaker system is to sound like real life, where you hear the whole slew of instruments within a certain space with both ears, not one ear hearing one channel each.

"Holographic" actually refers to where the instruments are on stage and not the rather selfish intent to feel like several people are performing for just one person that stands in the middle of them.

And actually it is speakers that can give a real sense of depth since you can hear both drivers and thus the imaging cues as when they were recorded by two microphones playing within a room. Without Crossfeed or recordings designed for headphone playback what you're getting as "holographic" or "sense of depth" are some of the sounds getting pushed too far forward away from the stage towards you, like how Grados seem to suggest that all recordings were done to look like the Fantastic Four retired and Reed Richards was on the drums as the cymbals are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out to the flanks and the front. Which, you might notice, is not possible, because no human has ever reacted to gamma radiation by turning into stretchable rubber.

You're really just used to music being presented that way from having used only decent headphones and maybe some crap PA speakers that aren't even set up for proper imaging, plus there's your need to feel like you're the center of the world for the performers, so in that sense there's really no substitute for headphones.

Although of course you could always just improperly position speakers to get the same effect. Like sit in the middle with both aimed directly towards you, as with headphones.

But then again, there's no point in getting a Scala Utopia if you'd just position them improperly with the goal being to make them sound like headphones, when the goal precisely is to make them sound different (or conversely, headphones are trying to catch up to that with headphone playback-specific recordings, Crossfeed, angled drivers, etc), so if headphones that try to sound like speakers aren't your thing, just avoid anything with angled earpads and driver mounts (most especially the AKG K1000) or anything with Crossfeed (like Meier and iFi).

i agree, speakers give more accurate and realistic imaging.

but for my enjoyment i don't prefer that front imaging and more likely i will stick to headphones

and it's not only that, a good headphones can sound intimate and distant in the same track while speaker simply can't be as intimate as headphones.

At the end it's a matter of preference and it's definitely not superior to headphones like i always heard, atleast for me.

Sep 26, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #15 of 42
What’s funny is that good headphones try to mimic front sounding imaging like speakers to my ears only though but when it’s being compared to a real speaker their imaging just feel close and not as holographic.

With regards to sounding distant or intimate, on a computer desktop setting, to my ears speakers provide a more realistic space and yes to my ears only, it can sound even more intimate than headphones as they give me an illusion that they are singing right at my face with a depth of a small stage or concert hall (except binaural recording of course)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back