Whats the deal with skullcandy?
Aug 15, 2009 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

big_sound

100+ Head-Fier
Skullcandy was never a brand that I liked at all. My friend is obsessed with his "skullcrusher" headphones from them that he got for $30. He thinks they are better than the grado sr80's which he tried on. Also, he doesn't like my Beats by dr. dre either.

The gimmick with these headphones is that they vibrate along with being too bassy. They shake you're entire head. He thinks its the bass doing so, but I tell him it is just a cheap rumble pack. What can I do to convince him to try other things. What are some good cheap cans?

Also, if you dislike skullcandy, like me, tell me about past experiences with them....
devil_face.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #2 of 20
Well, is that such a bad thing? If he found a headphone he liked for $30, shouldn't you be happy for him? Maybe he really likes the bass, and the Grado simply do not have enough of it. I own the SR-80 and can understand how they can be hated. The only real gripe I have with SkullCandy is that they are extrememly unattractive.

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, is that such a bad thing? If he found a headphone he liked for $30, shouldn't you be happy for him? Maybe he really likes the bass, and the Grado simply do not have enough of it. I own the SR-80 and can understand how they can be hated. The only real gripe I have with SkullCandy is that they are extrememly unattractive.

You can't really hear the music with these. Just imagine force feedback for you're brain. LOL

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by big_sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't really hear the music with these. Just imagine force feedback for you're brain. LOL

No, I agree with you, the sound they produce is horrible, but maybe he is just an extreme "basshead".
darthsmile.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

+1
Also, agree with Sunneebear about the Beats, to many this is just an instance of the pot calling the kettle black.

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #7 of 20
Skullcandy is nothing to write home about sound wise, but they have probably done a few things right which mean they are quite popular among teenagers.
* Design. Colorful and probably modern looks.
* Marketing.
* Availability. They can be bought in almost any record stores around here.

Not for me!

Aug 15, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #9 of 20
Aug 15, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #10 of 20
in the end why can't we be happy that people like to listen to music.. mind you i hate skullcandy myself but then again i like a neutral sound.

Aug 15, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #11 of 20
I guess it's the kind of BS gear I would have been interested in during high school if that kind of thing had been popular. I remember owning an absolutely crap "walkman" style casette player, which would, ever so slowly, play slower and slower. It only cost $30 and the "High defenition" computer speakers I plugged into it were only $10. I couldn't stand ear buds for the most part.

Aug 15, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #12 of 20
I think in his mind, he just wants skullcandy to be "better". He's become attached to it that I don't think he wants anything to be better than his skullcandys. I being a teenager can understand why we buy them, it's got vibrant colours that match our clothes, (Well mine and my friends especially) It's those items that make you look cool if you own them, and not cool if you don't.
As a cheap fashion item, I wouldn't mind wearing them around town.
They wouldn't look bad with my trainers, and I could understand why people would think they are "ugly" but we have opinions on what's ugly and what's nice: http://www.schuhstore.co.uk/images/p...11220_exlg.jpg

Aug 15, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #13 of 20
get your friend on the end of a pair of AKG K518's, then he'll realize was thumping bass is all about.

Aug 15, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #14 of 20
I own a few of the skullcandys. The TI, the DJ crushers, I must say they are so bass heavy and artificial, they dilute the sound quality overall by a huge margin. However, the bass sounds pretty nice, considering they are only like 50 bucks. Sacrifice sound quality for bass and portability and comfort. You can't really have it both ways...unless you buy the new Shure440 or 840
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back