what's the best way to rip a CD
Mar 12, 2008 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

pearljam5000

500+ Head-Fier
what's the best way to preserve the SQ of a cd when ripping it?
1-creating an image file using nero,then using daemon tools and then playing the file with foobar.
2.ripping the CD to flac with foobar
?

Mar 12, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #2 of 16
rip CD with EAC to .waw and then convert to some lossless format like .flac or .ape, if u want u can do it also in EAC with some external converter or some plug-in.

EAC is good also in reading "bad" CDs and in correcting. It saves good music for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShanDo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rip CD with EAC to .waw and then convert to some lossless format like .flac or .ape, if u want u can do it also in EAC with some external converter or some plug-in.

EAC is good also in reading "bad" CDs and in correcting. It saves good music for me
smily_headphones1.gif

EAC is great!
cool.gif

Too bad it couldn't save my Omar cd...
mad.gif

Mar 12, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 16
As I understand it:

First, choose a lossless encoding format. A lossy encoding format compacts the ripped file by throwing away certain information stored on the CD.

Second, when ripping the CD, use a media player that offers error checking. That way, the media player will check the bits ripped against the bits on the CD, and ensure that all the CD bits have been transferred correctly.

Together, you ensure that you get all the information onto your hard drive that the CD contains.

The encoding format (like FLAC) is unimportant as long as it's lossless. FLAC is good because its compression algorithm is very efficient, so you get small files without losing any information. WMA Lossless or WAV are also lossless, but the file sizes are larger.

Happy listening,
Eric.

Mar 12, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by cconnaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iTunes with error correction. It just doesn't give you feed back about any ripping problems.

The error correction in EAC is supposed to be better.

I've had problems with some CDs in iTunes. Most of those CDs have ripped fine with EAC, although it takes some time. I've actually had one CD that I couldn't rip or play in in CD player that I tried. Brand new too. It looked fine, but the last 2 tracks were just a bad pressing.

Mar 13, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The error correction in EAC is supposed to be better.

I've had problems with some CDs in iTunes. Most of those CDs have ripped fine with EAC, although it takes some time. I've actually had one CD that I couldn't rip or play in in CD player that I tried. Brand new too. It looked fine, but the last 2 tracks were just a bad pressing.

Can you give any details about the problems you've had in iTunes with some discs? Is it just certain CDs won't rip in iTunes or have you actually heard differences v. the same CD ripped in EAC?

Many people say EAC is supposed to be better, but I've found EAC not worth the extra time.

Mar 13, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by cconnaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you give any details about the problems you've had in iTunes with some discs? Is it just certain CDs won't rip in iTunes or have you actually heard differences v. the same CD ripped in EAC?

Many people say EAC is supposed to be better, but I've found EAC not worth the extra time.

Some discs just won't rip. The same discs might take over an hour to rip with EAC. My computer has a CD drive and a Plextor DVD drive. EAC suggests using the Plextor drive, but sometimes discs won't rip with it and will with the CD drive.

Mar 13, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #10 of 16
CDex straight to flac.

Mar 13, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #11 of 16
Use a well regarded audio CD ripper (Max, cdparanoia, EAC, CDex, ...) to rip the audio CD to a lossless audio codec (Apple Lossless, FLAC, WavPack, ...).

Mar 15, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #15 of 16
Thanks everyone
For some reason I thought the CD image would be much closer to the original CD and that there would be no loss of quality.
I have another question, let's say I would like to backup my FLAC files and burn them on a CD\DVD, would a lower quality media result in a degraded sound quality, or would it not have any effect on the SQ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back