What's the best sounding Sony walkman?
Jul 4, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #16 of 26
jerry cornelius-
Yeah, many owners so far are in agreement about the SQ. It's a wonderful sounding player.

Welcome to Head-Fi btw. Very nice way to get acquainted here.
ksc75smile.gif
What 'phones are you using with the X?

Jul 4, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jerry cornelius-
Yeah, many owners so far are in agreement about the SQ. It's a wonderful sounding player.

Welcome to Head-Fi btw. Very nice way to get acquainted here.
ksc75smile.gif
What 'phones are you using with the X?

Thanks cn11,
I've been following the sony X thread since it was started by soozieq.I've also owned a S639 & currently have a A729 which i loved until the X came along !! The A729 is still a great player btw, just not in the same league as the X. I listen to the X every day on my way home from work &, for me, it's just the perfect size and weight ( as opposed to my 5.5 ipod which feels like a great hefty brick in comparison! ) . Don't get me wrong,I'm not an ipod basher and actually owned a 1st gen nano for 4 years and loved it.I'll still use my 5.5 ipod but for audio books only.

Oh, and i'm using Sennheiser Ie6's with comply tips.I owned a pair of Denon ahc 551's for a short time but couldn't get on with them.I found them a bit uncomfortable & hard sounding.I much prefer the warmer signature of the ie6's & they're so comfortable I forget they're there. As I said before, the bass is amazing,so controlled & not at all boomy (electronic music in particular sounds fantastic).I have clear bass set to +1 , the first 2 settings of the equaliser set to -1 and all effects turned off apart from the dynamic normaliser. I know we all have our own preferences but this set up sounds great to me.

All in all, I know the browser is a bit naff, but the SQ is so damn good that I don't care one jot!!

Jul 4, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

@tstarn06-

Just to clarify, the X does have FM radio as part of its feature set, FYI.

Also, I'd be inclined to wait for more extensive comparisons between the X and the amp3 before forming any conclusions since as you noted, the single comment about its SQ compared to the X has come from a seller of the amp3... hardly unbiased. Actual forthcoming customer/ user reviews will be more telling.

Regardless, it's pretty obvious that the X is at this point pretty much taking the cake for the best sounding Sony.

No conclusions drawn, just using the only data available right now. Not sure how many will own both, so it may be a moot point. On the other hand, Craig at Whiplash doesn't show any history of pumping products (did a check). He seems to be a very reputable sponsor.

As for the FM, my bad.

And based on posts, little doubt the X Series is the best Sony yet.

Jul 4, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The BEST Sony Walkman, currently is NWZ-X1000 series.
It is what the Sony told in their website.
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL. If Sony said it... it must be true
tongue.gif

Quote:

@tstarn06-

Just to clarify, the X does have FM radio as part of its feature set, FYI.

It certainly does have FM radio. It's listed quite clearly in the description.

Quote:

The single comment about its SQ compared to the X has come from a seller of the amp3... hardly unbiased.
Actual forthcoming customer/ user reviews will be more telling.

Yes, very good point. One opinion from a seller of the AMP3 isn't concrete evidence of anything, it's just a single opinion. Best to reserve judgement until there are as many happy AMP3 owners as there are X owners. And of course, some positive editorial reviews wouldn't go amiss
atsmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry cornelius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do I like it? Well, put it this way,....my 5.5 ipod has been gathering dust since purchasing the X !! I'm someone who puts SQ above everything else
and this thing has got some serious MOJO that the ipod hasn't.
icon10.gif

Hello jerry c and welcome to Head-Fi.... not sorry for your wallet though
regular_smile .gif

Yes. The X has some serious MOJO! Glad you're loving it too like so many of us are. The one thing Sony is known for is great SQ, they may know nothing about marketing, or useful features - but since we all seem to value the stellar SQ over any of that, it really doesn't matter. And it doesn't cost much more than the A829 did a year ago (from Amazon UK), so I think it's terrific value as well.

Jul 4, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry cornelius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All in all, I know the browser is a bit naff, but the SQ is so damn good that I don't care one jot!!

Lol! That's an understatement. It's the biggest load of tosh I've ever had the misfortune to use
ksc75smile.gif

But... it's great for checking emails... and then replying to them from my Touch
darthsmile.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best player for MP3 / WAV to me is Sony PCM-D50

It is around 500USD, and due to its "sexy" outlook, it may rule out from someone wish list automatically

Wow, that is some machine.

Jul 4, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #23 of 26
One more off topic post and I'll lock this topic for good, it's locked for now until I or one of the other mods can clean up this mess. All of you involved in this nonsense should consider yourselves warned.

Thread reopened - FYI if you don't want to receive any more PM's from someone or find their posts irritating simply use the ignore list feature.

Jul 5, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best player for MP3 / WAV to me is Sony PCM-D50

It is around 500USD, and due to its "sexy" outlook, it may rule out from someone wish list automatically

Yes, it is a good looking PROFESSIONAL sound recorder, which capable to record in pure/raw 96kHz/24bit. But, it is not WALKMAN series
smily_headphones1.gif
, but seem to me to replace their portable DAT recorder. But the PCM-D1 is more awseome, a Titanium body.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it is a good looking PROFESSIONAL sound recorder, which capable to record in pure/raw 96kHz/24bit. But, it is not WALKMAN series
smily_headphones1.gif
, but seem to me to replace their portable DAT recorder. But the PCM-D1 is more awseome, a Titanium body.
smily_headphones1.gif

I know it is recorder, but as it has outstanding playback IC, it is also one of audiophile dream players in jap and other Asian countries which is rated above Ipod/ cowon D2, S9 long time ago, even comparing new X series, people reports X series can not dethrone D50.

I must admit D50 is not Walkman series though. You can say X series is best player in walkman series, but I can not agree with it being best digital player ever in Sony history.

Agree PCM-D1 is better too

Seems I miss "walkman" terms. Don't want to derail the thread. Keep going, guys
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back