What's the best sounding Sony walkman?
Jul 2, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #2 of 26
The BEST Sony Walkman, currently is NWZ-X1000 series. It is what the Sony told in their website.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by guineapig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can also provide a link to a cheap price, that would be helpful.

If you could update your profile to give people an idea of where you *live*, that would be super helpful !

Guineapig, the rather expensive new model aside, its widely accepted that the 700/800 series Walkmans are pretty damned good. My S728 cost me AUD220, but that probably seems like a huge number if you live in the US. We need that sort of information before we can give you any links.

Jul 2, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 26
I've heard the X1000 series is the best sounding, I've yet to hear it myself. I'd still opt for the S639 though, and it's decently priced on the Best Buy website in the US. AdvancedMp3Players.co.uk has them both also, and the S639 might still be decently priced.

ABI review on the X1000 series, and it's damn positive: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...000-review.php

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #6 of 26
Another recommendation for the X. So mellow, natural, yet detailed. More expansive and encompassing soundstage than my A829, as well as more controlled and deeper bass.

Jul 2, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #7 of 26
Another vote for the X. Clearly better then my already very good sounding A808.

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #8 of 26
That S-Master amp must really be amazing. Even if it's limited in the video dept, the SQ is being raved about. I've got a feeling I better NOT listen to 1, or even my S9 will be sold before I put it in it's case today.

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #10 of 26
Definitely the X series... and I've had a few Sony daps in my time to be able to make a fair comparison
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #11 of 26
Pretty resounding so far!

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty resounding so far!

Yes, and you know what? It's really nice to have got to a stage where the sound is [size=small]so good[/size]... that I'm not in the least bit curious about any other daps. Well, the AMP3 with its tiny screen and jagged edges (LOL!), sounds like something I'd buy for a friend so long as she didn't mind walking around with a brick in her other pocket to balance her out
icon10.gif

Joking aside, I think it's great that there are so many decent sounding daps around to choose from. Despite crap browsers and a lack of basic features (X!)... and jagged edges and tiny screens (AMP3)
ksc75smile.gif
- the sq is all that counts, and I'm just glad to have found something that satisifes me on all levels. It is nice not to have to 'wonder' about anything else.

And as Poppy said before, Sony might not put the S-master digital amp into another dap, and at least we have it!

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #13 of 26
Since you brought the Amp3 into the discussion, just as a comparison ... using specs from Amazon and the Amp3 maker's site.

Sony X1000 = 0.4 x 2.1 x 3.9 inches ; 5.6 ounces
Amp3 = 0.78 x 1.6 x 2.9 inches; 3.5 ounces

Leaving web browsing out of the mix (since thread is about best sounding Sony), the Sony crushes the Amp3 with its screen and menu, as well as options like EQ, etc. The Amp3 offers expandability using MicroSDHC cards (but only 8GB at a time, right now, so the basic config is 12GB for about $170, while the Sony 16GB model is $297 at Amazon). Both play wma, mp3 and wav, but the Amp3 apparently also plays Flac, but only using onboard flash memory (not the cards). The Amp3 also can be used as an external amp with another DAP, and has a rated battery life of 100 hours per charge (not sure about the Sony). There is no onboard EQ on the Amp3, by design.

As far as SQ, only one person has both that I know of, and he says the Amp3 delivers superior SQ (though he does sell the Amp3, so more data is needed). I would love to do a comparison, but have opted for the Amp3 for cost and expandability/flexibility reasons (I can probably sell my T4 if this amp equals it with other DAPs).

Of course, the Sony clearly wins the overall features/beauty contest. But the amp3, while a bit thicker (and it does have those jagged edges), is actually smaller and lighter.

And yes, it's nice to have choices in audiophile DAPs.

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #14 of 26
@tstarn06-

Just to clarify, the X does have FM radio as part of its feature set, FYI.

Also, I'd be inclined to wait for more extensive comparisons between the X and the amp3 before forming any conclusions since as you noted, the single comment about its SQ compared to the X has come from a seller of the amp3... hardly unbiased. Actual forthcoming customer/ user reviews will be more telling.

Regardless, it's pretty obvious that the X is at this point pretty much taking the cake for the best sounding Sony.

Jul 4, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #15 of 26
I've had my X series for a couple of months now and can whole heartedly concur with other users that this thing is just sublime.I find it amazingly balanced & smooth and the bass is something else!!
Do I like it? Well, put it this way,....my 5.5 ipod has been gathering dust since purchasing the X !! I'm someone who puts SQ above everything else and this thing has got some serious MOJO that the ipod hasn't.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back