What's the best quality audio file?
Apr 28, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #31 of 89
My MP3/4 player can play FLAC
What's 'lame' and rip?
I don't wanna buy any CDs, so are there any sites where I can download lossless files for free?(Or do I have to use Torrents, etc.-I don't know if I'm allowed to discuss them here or not)

Sorry, but I'm new to audio stuff.

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #32 of 89
Not gonna link to sites here, but yeah, torrents.

LAME is an MP3 encoder.  The best one by far, it can make the best quality MP3 files with the smallest size.  To "rip" is to take the files off of a CD for archival purposes, or to transcode for use on a mobile device.

Apr 28, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #33 of 89
Man... FLAC is overrated you guys are seriously missing out on the glorious 1st gen rips in mp3 format that is 96kbps CBR.
There are no other words to describe it's sound other than, "heavenly"
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #35 of 89
Lol yea, if the discussion starts going towards sites where you can download stuff then the thread will be closed for sure, so it's probably best not to ask about them. 
In my personal experience, FLAC is the most common lossless file, which means that if you're looking for lossless audio to download then FLAC files are going to be the easiest to find.  320kbps mp3 files are already very good and much easier to obtain though, so I would just settle for those given your "limitations" with not wanting to buy CD's.

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #36 of 89
What do I care? I still connect my 8-track player from my RV to my $1000 amp. There is no way any of your fancy FLAC and APE files can match that kind of sound!

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #38 of 89
Because the most logical place to use lossy formats (which could have been the original intent considering lossless was unknown at some point here) is on a portable device.

Lossless does not go well with most portables due to space constraints, so I guess that aspect makes sense.

Apr 29, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #40 of 89

Quote:
Files?

Everyone knows the best music is found on big black discs that spin at 33.3RPM.

biggrin.gif

Once you go black, you'll never go back.  45's aren't half bad either. 

As far as zeros and ones, I use FLAC, AIFF or ALAC depending on what side of the bed I got up on.  IME the software you use to rip the files can have a significant impact on SQ. Computer Audiophile is a pretty good site to find binary music chat that'll offer up more opinions than you can shake a hard drive at. 

Apr 29, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #41 of 89
I agree with the above statement...

Get as much storage as possible and rip to .wav, FLAC, ALAC. If necessary go down from there (320k MP3, etc.).
As was said before, storage is cheap. 2 TB costs little and will hold gazillions of rips. 'Compress' only when portable size demands it.

Apr 29, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #43 of 89
ive recently just started using AmazonMp3 to buy songs from. it seems that all of their files are 256 kbps.

whats the general opinion for AmazonMP3 around here? are there other sites that allow you to PURCHASE higher bit files?

ill buy albums, but of course not everyone always wants the whole album just for one or two tracks.

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #44 of 89

Quote:
ive recently just started using AmazonMp3 to buy songs from. it seems that all of their files are 256 kbps.

whats the general opinion for AmazonMP3 around here? are there other sites that allow you to PURCHASE higher bit files?

ill buy albums, but of course not everyone always wants the whole album just for one or two tracks.

I really respect the fact that you buy music.
I think there are websites that do sell lossless music, but I've also heard of transcoding in some sketchy sites so be careful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back