What's the best "open" full coverage phones
Feb 13, 2009 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Huck

100+ Head-Fier
Hi: What is a good sounding "open", full coverage headphone ( similar to HD-600's) suitable for monitoring electronic drums, for about 50-75$ Thanks, Huck

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably about the only game in town that will meet most of your criteria is a pair of Grado SR-60s. However, although they are full sized phones, they are not circum-aural, but supra-aural.

If you can deal with closed phones, the Equation RP-21s may also be an option for you.

Good luck.

Thanks! I already have the RP-21's and that's the type( full coverage) what I am after (low impedance of 32ohms), but I need phones that I can still hear what's going on,say if the phone rings. I also have a Senn HD-600, but these are too good for monitoring drums,besides they are 300 ohm and I don't think the Roland drum module would like two drive two 300 ohm loads, as I want to add an extra phone(preferably low impedance) later on! Thanks,Huck

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 9
+1 for the Grado SR60.
A nice little open-back 'phone, fitting within your budget.

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 9
+1, but try before you buy
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 9
you could also try the full size koss, the ur40. I'm pretty sure it's based on the ksc 75 type driver and will have great sound for cheap. There's also the jvc's that people are raving about. i believe there is a 900 series and a 700 series. The 900 is open. Both have great reviews.

Lots of people will recommend the sr60 (which i've heard). It's pretty good, though I think there's better value for the money, though with the grado's you can be sure to resell them for near to what you paid for them (or you could buy them used and sell them for nearly no loss at all).

Also, I see you want similarity to your 600s. The grado's will NOT be similar. Theyre actually polar opposites (the 600s are known for being laid back somewhat while the grado's are in your face).

Feb 13, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 9
as much as I love my SR60s, I don't know that I'd recommend them for electronic drum monitors. What they do well, you don't need. Really, you probably don't anything with great sound quality for use as an electronic drum monitor. Those things aren't terribly nuanced, sound wise. the SR60s do detail and "forward" sound, but those would probably be last on a list of things you want for electronic drum monitors.

Feb 13, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #8 of 9
The Grado SR-60 is a fine headphone, but they're not much like the HD-600. Though they're closed, you might be interested in the Sony MDR-V6. They're more neutral, in your budget and are regularly used for professional sound monitoring.

Feb 13, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Grado SR-60 is a fine headphone, but they're not much like the HD-600. Though they're closed, you might be interested in the Sony MDR-V6. They're more neutral, in your budget and are regularly used for professional sound monitoring.

Thanks! I only suggested the HD-600's only to show how I want them to fit,not necessarily to sound similar! The new phones HAVE to be full-coverage,plus
be "open" style so I can hear the phone, or the wife yellin' at me,plus low impedance,32 or so ohms. Price, maybe 50$ tops! Thanks, Huck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back