What's the best "John Coltrane" album?
Apr 4, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #16 of 35
How's this for off topic…how do you cats post covers? I'm sure it's easy, but whenever I try it doesn't seem to take. Maybe I should have PM'd this question. Obviously, I'm technically challenged.

And speaking of bluesy tenors, have you ever heard Ike Quebec or Lucky Thompson? Thompson is one of the reasons Trane became interested in doubling on soprano sax. I'd post the cover of an absolutely fantastic album, Lucky Strikes, if I could.

Apr 4, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #17 of 35
You mean like this?
smily_headphones1.gif

58601f.jpg

58435f.jpg

I'll PM you with some tips on posting images when I have some time later today.

--Jerome

Apr 4, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #18 of 35
I'll go to the "fonotheek" and get some albums, copie them and make up my mind about Coltrane...
And then I will buy the ones I like most.
They're actually pretty cheap to get here in Holland...
Euro 8,- a piece.
Maybe I'll just buy a couple you guys recommended...
Tnx for your input!

Apr 4, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's easy..... A Love Supreme is probably the greatest jazz record ever made by anyone.

You gotta love it when someone wants to turn an otherwise nice thread into a competition.
confused.gif

--Jerome

Apr 4, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes indeed. Also very enjoyable, and under appreciated in my opinion, is Interplay for 2 Trumpets and 2 Tenors.

49070f.jpg

OFF TOPIC: If you are into bluesy ballads, then you should check out Stanley Turrentine, who was a great tenor player in his own right.

58740f.jpg

--Jerome

I picked up the Interplay album as well, giving it a listen right now. I didnt recommend it, since a newcomer to Coltrane wouldn't be able to pick out his tone from the group, but its a swinging album for sure.

Thanks for the Turrentine Ballads recommendation, always love good tenor ballads
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #23 of 35
I love John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman as well as John Coltrane - Ballads.

Why? The ultimate seduction music combo!

Apr 26, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean like this?
smily_headphones1.gif

58601f.jpg

58435f.jpg

I'll PM you with some tips on posting images when I have some time later today.

--Jerome

BTW, thanks for the Ike Quebec recommendation Jerome, I need to check out more of his stuff...Grant Green on there too, nice treat...
biggrin.gif

Fatcat, I am not sure which recording of My Fave things is on that greatest hits album, but be sure to check out "Afro Blue Impressions" live album, lovely extended takes on that live album.

Apr 26, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, thanks for the Ike Quebec recommendation Jerome, I need to check out more of his stuff...Grant Green on there too, nice treat...
biggrin.gif

Not to make this about me, but Ike Quebec was actually my suggestion, though I thank jsaliga for posting the covers and giving me a little how-to in response to my post below. Really glad you're digging Ike, though; hope some other folks are, too…
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's this for off topic…how do you cats post covers? I'm sure it's easy, but whenever I try it doesn't seem to take. Maybe I should have PM'd this question. Obviously, I'm technically challenged.

And speaking of bluesy tenors, have you ever heard Ike Quebec or Lucky Thompson? Thompson is one of the reasons Trane became interested in doubling on soprano sax. I'd post the cover of an absolutely fantastic album, Lucky Strikes, if I could.

Incidentally, right now I'm listening to another Trane album that's kinda undervalued: Coltrane Plays The Blues.

Apr 26, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #27 of 35
+1 for Blue Trane.

Apr 26, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to make this about me, but Ike Quebec was actually my suggestion, though I thank jsaliga for posting the covers and giving me a little how-to in response to my post below. Really glad you're digging Ike, though; hope some other folks are, too…
biggrin.gif

Incidentally, right now I'm listening to another Trane album that's kinda undervalued: Coltrane Plays The Blues.

Credit where credit is due, tru blu
biggrin.gif
Thanks to you for the original suggestion. Ike has a lovely style and tone, like a fusion between Ben Webster and Sonny Rollins, I will be checking out more of his albums for sure.

Apr 26, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by feverfive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What? No mention of "My Favorite Things"? To me, that's right up there w/ "Kind of Blue" (Miles Davis) & "Time Out" (Dave Brubeck) as contender for all time greatest jazz album (though Miles is probably the consensus)...

Yes. Coltrane's reading of "Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye" is my favorite jazz interpretation of a Cole Porter tune, which is saying quite a bit. The way he respects the proportions of the melody, while singing in his own voice, is extraordinary. This track is also a testament to the brilliance of McCoy Tyner, who is the co-lead on this recording. It just doesn't get any better than this...

Great call, Feverfive.

May 3, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Tnx for the fast response!
As you put it I would opt for "Blue Train" since I like melodic stuff better than for instance "freaky stuff"
biggrin.gif

Tnx again, I'll check it out!
cool.gif

Blue Train and Giant Steps are his 2 very best recordings if you like melodic stuff the best. Look also at Coltrane Jazz, Coltrane Plays the Blues, Coltrane's Sound, My Favorite Things, and Bags & Trane. All of these are stereo recordings while he was with Atlantic Records and most of it is more of a 50s style jazz and very little of it gets freaky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back