what's the best C&C?
Dec 9, 2004 at 8:21 AM Post #16 of 30
The first Red Alert was the best, by far. It had the ambiance of the cold war down perfectly. I love that game, and the soundtrack is awesome. Some of my favorite non-vocal music is in that soundtrack.

Dec 9, 2004 at 8:52 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reck45
anyone know if red alert is compatible with xp pro?

Not sure about Red Alert, but Red Alert 2 works fine.

Zero Hour is one of the few games I still play...

Dec 9, 2004 at 9:36 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
Reck: yes it works. Set the game under compatibility mode to Win 95 and it will be fine. Usually it is the .exe that needs the compatibility mode.

so, does it also work under win2k pro? I think 2000 lacks a compatibility mode...

Dec 9, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #21 of 30
I'm torn between the original C&C and Red Alert, myself.

Quote:

The first Red Alert was the best, by far. It had the ambiance of the cold war down perfectly. I love that game, and the soundtrack is awesome. Some of my favorite non-vocal music is in that soundtrack.

That sir, is spot on. Between the guard dogs and bombing runs, you'd be hardpressed to find a cooler title in that era. And speaking of awesome music, i'd like to share something. I have a habit of checking the bargain bin at Best Buy whenever i stop in, usually coming across those same 5 copies of Fallout and Leisure Suit Larry. But one day, one fateful day, i came across something so spectacular, no words could describe it. Well, perhaps a thousand words could:
Resizeof110_1035.jpg

That correct. All 4 soundtracks. And at what cost, one might ask? - 1 cent. It was supposed to come free with a purchase of RA2, but i had no interest in that and asked if i could buy it separately. The clerk pulled up a total of .01 and just rolled with it. By far the best penny i've ever spent.
biggrin.gif

I'd be more than willing to rip them (well, only the two classics are worthwhile in my mind) for you guys to have, but i've got no hosting or the like. My university email wouldn't allow it as an attachment, but i'm sure we could figure something out (aim transfer or the like.) Let me know if there's any interest.

-Will "Mechanical Man" Hawkinson

Dec 9, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #22 of 30
[size=x-large]Zero Hour[/size]

Aroura Bomber's are my friends, well....you gotta love nuke mig's too.

Dec 9, 2004 at 6:28 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrhawk
I'm torn between the original C&C and Red Alert, myself.

That sir, is spot on. Between the guard dogs and bombing runs, you'd be hardpressed to find a cooler title in that era. And speaking of awesome music, i'd like to share something. I have a habit of checking the bargain bin at Best Buy whenever i stop in, usually coming across those same 5 copies of Fallout and Leisure Suit Larry. But one day, one fateful day, i came across something so spectacular, no words could describe it. Well, perhaps a thousand words could:
Resizeof110_1035.jpg

That correct. All 4 soundtracks. And at what cost, one might ask? - 1 cent. It was supposed to come free with a purchase of RA2, but i had no interest in that and asked if i could buy it separately. The clerk pulled up a total of .01 and just rolled with it. By far the best penny i've ever spent.
biggrin.gif

I'd be more than willing to rip them (well, only the two classics are worthwhile in my mind) for you guys to have, but i've got no hosting or the like. My university email wouldn't allow it as an attachment, but i'm sure we could figure something out (aim transfer or the like.) Let me know if there's any interest.

-Will "Mechanical Man" Hawkinson

Check PM
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2004 at 6:41 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reck45
anyone know if red alert is compatible with xp pro?

Yes, it should be! Go to the Start button, than to Programs, and find the Red Alert listing. Go to the Red Alert executable file in the menu system. Right click and go to properties. There's an option to use "Compatibility Mode". Select Win95 or Win98 and it should work fine. My Red Alert II and Yuri's Revenge need to use Win98 Compatibility Mode in order to work on Win Xp and XP Pro.

It was already stated, but not with directions on how to set it.
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #26 of 30
Red Alert 2 for me is the best of the C&C series. That when I was really into RTS games. Well that and being consistantly in the top 50 and some occasions in the top 10 of the ranking month in and month out and getting prizes for it contributed to me liking RA2 more than anothers.

Dec 10, 2004 at 2:51 AM Post #28 of 30
The very first one and the first RA were instant classics. I found the second Red Alert to be an excellent game too and in my opinion, a better game than the first two on the absolute scale for multiplayer games.

At the end tho.. Starcraft still remains the king of RTS for me with its amazing longevity.

Dec 10, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #29 of 30
I got Generals and it's pretty damn addictive. MY whole day just seemed to float on by lol. Doesn't seem as stable as I would like though, I just spent 2 hours on a mission only to have the game crash...and I didn't save.
frown.gif

Man but the unit voices are freaking ridiulous. I played 1 match of skirmish and I heard one of the units say" we are big nothing will stand in our way". OMG rofl. Oh yea and the flame tanks on the chinese side...wowee... god so funny. Sexual innuendos at their finest... although I'm sure the westwood maybe didn't intend that.
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2004 at 12:00 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic
[size=x-large]Zero Hour[/size]

Aroura Bomber's are my friends, well....you gotta love nuke mig's too.

Bring it on! ph33r my 100000 Quad Cannons.

Seriously normal Generals is a ****load better than Zero Hour.

GLA pwn your bases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back