what's the best C&C?
Dec 8, 2004 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Reck45

100+ Head-Fier
Question for all you gamers here. What is the best command&conquer? I used to have a lot of fun with Red Alert: Retaliation for psx back in the day. I've heard some of the ones after that aren't that good..I played a little bit of the tiberian sun demo and I didn't really care for the futuristic stuff. I need something new to play that doesn't have steep system requirements.
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 30
I've always been a huge fan of the C&C series. In fact, C&C 1 was my very first pc game when it first came out and I gotta say, that game is magical. Truly magical. I mean, wow. Where the other games are about building a lot of resource gatherers and sending out a huge army, this one is about micromanagement, strategic and tactical considerations and financial management, even. And I absolutely loved the storyline.

Red Alert 2 is a lot of fun, especially yuri's revenge expansion, but it's so different from the classic C&C 1 and Red Alert 1 that it lacks the magic. (it's such a great game, though, that it sort of has its own magic)
Tiberian sun was sort of a let down (extremely hyped) but still really great - and you will probably crave for this after C&C1 because they are the same story (C&C1 is aka "Tiberian Dawn")

I also had a lot of fun with Generals, but, again, no magic whatsoever. Plus it's a bit more graphics intensive.

I say start with C&C1 and work your way up
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flasken
I've always been a huge fan of the C&C series. In fact, C&C 1 was my very first pc game when it first came out and I gotta say, that game is magical. Truly magical. I mean, wow. Where the other games are about building a lot of resource gatherers and sending out a huge army, this one is about micromanagement, strategic and tactical considerations and financial management, even. And I absolutely loved the storyline.

Red Alert 2 is a lot of fun, especially yuri's revenge expansion, but it's so different from the classic C&C 1 and Red Alert 1 that it lacks the magic. (it's such a great game, though, that it sort of has its own magic)
Tiberian sun was sort of a let down (extremely hyped) but still really great - and you will probably crave for this after C&C1 because they are the same story (C&C1 is aka "Tiberian Dawn")

I also had a lot of fun with Generals, but, again, no magic whatsoever. Plus it's a bit more graphics intensive.

I say start with C&C1 and work your way up
biggrin.gif

I couldn't agree more, the first C&C is a classic. In fact, it was one of my first games as well. Red Alert 1 is a classic as well, Tiberian sun was indeed a letdown---NOD had a huge advantage which the firestorm expansion pack tried to balance but didn't suceed but it did have a cool graphic concept.

I thought RA2 was alright, cooperative multiplayer is really fun with a friend.

My advice: get c&c 1 and the expansion pack (believe it's called counterstrike) and then ra 1 and definitly get the expansion packs for it---the new units are loads of fun to play with.

I'd be open to a headfi C&C/RA multiplayer "meet" or tourney. C&C is so ancient though that I think it'd be a problem getting multiplayer to work on it without a central westwood server (which, I'm assuming, is probably down now)

All this talk makes me wanna play c&c again, I think I may replay them over the winter
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 30
Too bad RTS's have pretty much disappeared off the map lately.

Oh well.

My second favorite gaming genre is at an all time high now.

My favorite C&C was Red Alert.

Although, I still like Total Annihilation best at the time.

-Ed

Dec 8, 2004 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 30
nope, at least, I can't get it to run. had ablast with it before I moved to XP though. only played it for the first time about 2 years ago, but it stil was soo cool.

okay, not as cool as Total Annihilation.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2004 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reck45
Question for all you gamers here. What is the best command&conquer? I used to have a lot of fun with Red Alert: Retaliation for psx back in the day. I've heard some of the ones after that aren't that good..I played a little bit of the tiberian sun demo and I didn't really care for the futuristic stuff. I need something new to play that doesn't have steep system requirements.
biggrin.gif

tiberian sun with expansion.

Dec 8, 2004 at 10:22 PM Post #9 of 30
Rats I was about to say C&C Music Factory's remix of Black or White. Or even "In the Name of Love(Pride)" - but that shows my age eh?

Dec 8, 2004 at 10:24 PM Post #10 of 30
Yea I guess that's right damn. Well I guess I'll get generals instead. It got and 8.9 from gamespot and they don't give reviews that high lightly. Should run fine on my pc. Graphics look decent from the screens I saw...ouch playing red alert style graphics now would be painful anyhow lol.
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Too bad RTS's have pretty much disappeared off the map lately.

Oh well.

My second favorite gaming genre is at an all time high now.

My favorite C&C was Red Alert.

Although, I still like Total Annihilation best at the time.

-Ed

Eh,we've still got Warcraft (which is cooler anyway
smily_headphones1.gif
) although WofW is going the MMORPG route.

Dec 9, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #13 of 30
I liked the Red Alerts the best, but I was more into the skirmish than missions.

Dec 9, 2004 at 8:01 AM Post #15 of 30
For me, red alert was the first C&C I played with, loved it. Afterwards, Red Alert 2 & Yuris revenge is great, but it dont beat RA in single player fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back