what's the best budget cable for a grado?
Aug 22, 2008 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ueyteuor

1000+ Head-Fier
looking for a good cable to go well with a sr-series grado... i was thinking mogami neglex quad, since i have most experience with it... but is there a cable that better responds with the grado thats fairly cheap, but also great?

Aug 22, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 10
this is a sr60 we're talking about.. so i want to upgrade the cable to something a little better.. so would you think spc wire is better than the mogami? what type of AWG? i've fiddled around with the 2534 for a while, made some headphone cables with it and some interconnects, but i want to see if theirs something that corresponds with the grado better

Aug 22, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 10
Mogami is actually a really good cable, some very knowledgeable people here prefer it to even Cardas 4x24. For me, it depends on application; Cardas is somewhat warmer so it depends on what I'm doing with both.

SPC is generally a little brighter and i like that with most of my headphones (just recabled Sennheiser HDxxx, DT770/80 and made some interconnects with SPC), it has it's uses.

For SR60, personally, I wouldn't bother with the recable, save your money, sell the SR60, buy SR225 (for some reason there are a few on the FS forum lately), they're great! Much better bang/buck than recabled SR60.

Aug 22, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ueyteuor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is a sr60 we're talking about.. so i want to upgrade the cable to something a little better.. so would you think spc wire is better than the mogami? what type of AWG? i've fiddled around with the 2534 for a while, made some headphone cables with it and some interconnects, but i want to see if theirs something that corresponds with the grado better

I would get some Goldring DR150's I actually prefer them to the 325i and they actually have fairly nice QED cable that comes with them that is removable. It is a 99.999% copper with silver cable. These are very good cans and can be driven much more easily than many Grado models.

Aug 23, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 10
guys im not looking for headphones.. i've gone through stax lambda, grado rs-2, akg sextetts, all those good ones, but i finally am sticking to a cheap grado... its the best headphone yet.. its fun, cheap, what more can you ask..

im just looking to treat it with a better cable..

Aug 23, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 10
I would argue that the best cable for a grado (especically considering price) is the stock one.

The SR-60 with a 3-wire cable MAY be the exception. I would build a cable from 4-strands of 22 or 24ga silver-plated copper and call it a day.

For anything else, I would simply reteminate with a 4-pin XLR and build adapter cables as necessary.

Aug 23, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ueyteuor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i finally am sticking to a cheap grado... its the best headphone yet.. its fun, cheap, what more can you ask..

im just looking to treat it with a better cable..

I was about to buy a SR-80, but got some feedback saying the 60 is better in some respects. I'm trying to find one local so I can try it out.

Aug 23, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #10 of 10
Grado installs very nice cables on their cans. If you want to upgrade on the cheap contact one of the companies that do re-cables (APureSound, Headphile, etc.) and ask them if they would sell you one of the cables they removed from one of the top Grados (325i and higher).

You should be able to buy one of the removed cables for $35 or less and IMO it would be a very nice upgrade to your SR60 and cheap to boot.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back