What's the best bang for your buck IEM for $60?
Dec 20, 2010 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

killerfrenzi

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a new pair of IEMs since I don't have any nice ones ever since I got my audio tech m50s and crave some more portable sq. I'm really interested in those flush sitting ones and I'd like to hear distinct mids since I love listening to the vocals all the songs I hear. Otherwise, should I just jump on those monster turbines for $60, or use that $60 for S4s, or stick with the idea of the flush sitting ones (I like comfort too). 

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #2 of 10
Check Amazon's Monster Turbine sale today, really good deal for $58!

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 10
If you are looking for a mid-centric sound take a look at the Soundmagic PL-50 also
   Single BA with smooth mids and a great value at about $55-60.
   They are also the more "flush" design and fit really great from my experience.
Compared to my $350 triple driver UM3x, they do amazingly well for being a fraction of the price!

Edit: $52.50 at mp4 nation

http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62_46&products_id=330

Dec 20, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #6 of 10
Compared to the turbines, the PL50s have a bit more balanced sound and forward mids.
  The strength of the turbines is they have EXCELLENT bass and a thicker, fuller sound.
The PL50s are more detailed and accurate in my opinion, while the turbine's might be a bit more "fun".

Dec 20, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #7 of 10
Dude. Get the turbines. They aren't some cheap made in China IEMs with high mark ups from tariffs and trying to pass off as having good value. You will be satisfied with the packaging, the unboxing, the accessories, the design, the looks, the comfort, and sound. Of course they aren't going to compare to the Copper which costs almost 5 times as much. But the sound signature is generally similar and very pleasant to listen to. 

If I don't already own quite a few $200+ IEMs I would have kept the pair of turbines I got earlier from the sale. They were quite satisfying and I was reluctant to let them go, but I thought I'd save for gold or copper.

Dec 20, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Dude. Get the turbines. They aren't some cheap made in China IEMs with high mark ups from tariffs and trying to pass off as having good value. You will be satisfied with the packaging, the unboxing, the accessories, the design, the looks, the comfort, and sound. Of course they aren't going to compare to the Copper which costs almost 5 times as much. But the sound signature is generally similar and very pleasant to listen to.

Ah yes, because obviously Monster Cable® has never marked up a product or tried to create value where there is none.

Also, I don't think you understand how tariffs work in the United States.  

Dec 20, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #9 of 10
If you are going to get the Pl-50's be aware that they're made of plastic. And to get them serviced, most companies require you to pay for shipping + tracking (I paid $19.80 to have it shipped back to China for repairs). They're prone to dying in either ears and the plastic is weak. 

My first pair started having problems in the right side after 2 months of casual use. My second pair the right tip snapped off when changing tips.

On the other hand, they sound fantastic while they're working.

Edit: Oh, also they give you the run around when you try to get them serviced. Took well over a month to finally get an RMA through. The repairs also took 2 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back