What's the best 3.5mm mini
Aug 16, 2009 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

crewchief

100+ Head-Fier
I was just looking at Dale Pro Audio and they have the Black/Gold Neutrik plug for $1.12 or they have a Canare plug for $4.74 which is like 4 times the price of the Neutrik. Is the Canare the better plug? I want to reterminate my SR225's with a mini plug as I like the way they sound straight out of my iPod Touch and want the best possible plug, or other suggestions are welcome too.

Aug 16, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #2 of 16
There's no best.
ph34r.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 16
the neutrix is a fairly small size (almost like factory molded 1/8"), while the canare is a fairly big connector (RCA connector size).

I find the neutrix too small for some cables I want to use, while the canare is too big and adds unnecessary bulk.

You may find the switchcraft 1/8" jack best as it is big enough for a lot of headphone cables, but not too big like the canare.

Aug 16, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 16
The Cryo-Parts ones are very nice. I use them as well as ViaBlue, but the ViaBlue have tiny solder points that may be difficult for some to solder to.

Aug 16, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyMac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use the neutrik. Big plugs will just ruin the socket in your ipod.

See that is exactly one of the reasons that I want to reterminate in the first place as I had this ungodly 3" plug sticking out of my jack that was just making me bite my nails as to ruining my iPod. Right now I have already put a cheap gold ratshack plug on them and even though it is far from the best solution I can already hear a difference if that is possible. My roommates who have listened to them in their stock configuration were curious as to what I was doing and had a listen after I was done and said, "Wow man I can hear how much clearer these sound now."

Now if I were to go for the whole enchilada and rewire them entirely what is the best wire for Grado's? OFC or solid silver or I was looking at getting some Canare Star Quad cable and finishing it off with some carbon fiber colored TechFlex and a Black/Gold 3.5mm Neutrik plug. As I am kind of new to the DIY cable scene I figured this is a pretty simple project as I have plenty of soldering time as an Aviation Mechanic. Also what is the best places that all of you DIYer's go to for supplies? I am interested in places online that sell some good assortment of TechFlex as well. I have done a search here and there was a few posts with links to an older post about TechFlex, but those links are wrong as it redirects you to some old post on amps or something.

Thanks Guys,

Joel

Aug 16, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #10 of 16
Aug 17, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #11 of 16
There is no such thing as the best cable for Grados as every cable has different sound. Canare starquads are quite a famous combination for Grados though, as they are a slightly warmer cable. I just think that the weight of the starquads makes it not so ideal.

Most problems with DIY wiring for headphones is that you never find a cable soft enough that can bend easily like OEM cables, and you never find a cable light enough like the OEM cable. If you send them to recablers like APS or moon-audio or everyone else, you get good sounding cable that are both light and flexible, but at a cost.

The best compromise is moon's blue dragon or black dragon at $8.50/foot for DIY.

Also, be careful with soldering on the driver, as they are quite easy to break due to heat from the soldering gun.

Here is some silver coated copper cables:
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Johns-Si...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

The Teflon Stranded 32AWG is said to be flexible enough for headphones, but i've never tried it personally.

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO tech flex is too stiff for headphone cables..
you need the softer Multi-filiment sheathing for headphone cables.

Or better still, cotton or silk.

k

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by crewchief /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now if I were to go for the whole enchilada and rewire them entirely what is the best wire for Grado's?

"Best" is quite subjective and relative.

But if you have a solder pot, I'd recommend trying the 100/46 SPSN from this guy:

1N34A Litz Wire

I'd rewired my old Grado RS1's with it some years ago. Good stuff, Maynard.

k

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #14 of 16
Now what about this stuff from Homegrown Audio
Homegrown Audio Co. | pure silver audio cables - Products - Bulk Wire

Or is that going a little overboard for a pair of 225's? (I mean the price of the cans vs. the price of the cabling)

Also is there a guide as to what the different types of wire and their sonic character i.e. OFC vs. Solid Silver vs. OFC/Silver mix and so on. Sorry to be such a nOOb to the DIY stuff, but I figure DIYing is the next step in the Head-Fi addiction. It just gets rather boring just buying stuff and what not. I have been a mechanic my whole life and I figure I will get much more satisfaction out of my headphone hobby if I build stuff myself that I can look at and be proud that I did that and not that I took out my credit card and had APS or Moon Audio do it for me. WooHooo I got bragging rights because I know how to read off a number from a piece of plastic and ship a box, yeah me (big pat on the back)
rolleyes.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by crewchief /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also is there a guide as to what the different types of wire and their sonic character i.e. OFC vs. Solid Silver vs. OFC/Silver mix and so on.

Nothing that would be of any real value to anyone. You will find proponents and opponents of every flavor of cable out there, and who will ascribe differing sonic characters even to the same types.

Quote:

Sorry to be such a nOOb to the DIY stuff, but I figure DIYing is the next step in the Head-Fi addiction.

There's no such thing as a "nOOb" when it comes to knowing what you like or don't like. And no one else can tell you what that will be with any degree of certainty.

Since no one can truly tell you what you will like or not like, and since you can't try everything, I'd suggest starting out with something that at least appeals to you at some aesthetic and/or philosophical level.

k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back