What's (so) G00d about Darth Beyers?
Apr 7, 2007 at 9:11 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How involving are these for rock?

Larry really does a good job with the DT 770; his workmanship is top notch.
In comparison to regular DT 770s, DBs eat their lunch.
DBs are a blast, they do rock very well.
They're fun cans with tons of isolation and excellent resale value!
And, to me, each one is (besides sound in some cases) unique.

Apr 7, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More bass, more pernounced mids, less treble. Better detail, same great soundstage (if not better).

Better looks.

I use my Darth's V2 as my main cans, for any type of music. To me they are not a type specific headphone, they just sound so nice for all music.

Basically, everything larry says on his website about the Darth's is true.

I agree with this 100%. Nicely put.

The Darth Beyers will NOT appeal to everyone, and I recognize that certain headphones I own or have owned (DT880. K701, HD650) are probably more accurate/neutral. But jeez louise, it's MUSIC for pete's sake, and I want to ENJOY listening to it. That is why I am a Darth Beyer fan - it's the best way for me to fully enjoy listening to music, of all types, on headphones. YMMV.

Apr 7, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Open Darths, especially the new ones, are the most fun ever. Soundstage is IMMENSE. Closest thing to a 2.1 setup you can find for your head. Mine are for sale for $1200 all day. lol

I'm under the (perhaps misguided) impression that the main difference between DT770, 880, and 990 is that they are closed/semi-open/open, in that order. At least for the revised 2005 line, they all seem to have the same specs in terms of impedance and frequency response (there may have been more extensive differences pre-2005). I also thought they all have the same drivers.

Given that, wouldn't a open-darthed 770 sound much like a stock 990, at least in terms of soundstage? I understand that the re-cabling also has a major effect, but if you're basically taking the 770 and opening up the back of the driver enclosures, aren't you making a 990?

I am very much enjoying my new stock 770s - for the price, I find them an incredibly fun, well-built headphone with great dynamics and the soundstage is impressive for a closed phone.

Apr 7, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by JXBJXB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given that, wouldn't a open-darthed 770 sound much like a stock 990, at least in terms of soundstage? I understand that the re-cabling also has a major effect, but if you're basically taking the 770 and opening up the back of the driver enclosures, aren't you making a 990?.

That might turn out to be somewhat the case IF Darth Beyers used the newer DT770 housing and drivers, which they do not. The DT770/80 that Darth Beyers are made from are different drivers, and they sound very different even stock from the 06 DT770.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JXBJXB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am very much enjoying my new stock 770s - for the price, I find them an incredibly fun, well-built headphone with great dynamics and the soundstage is impressive for a closed phone.

Indeed, they are very good!

Apr 8, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Open Darths, especially the new ones, are the most fun ever. Soundstage is IMMENSE. Closest thing to a 2.1 setup you can find for your head. Mine are for sale for $1200 all day. lol

I'm about to join the open Darths club.
smily_headphones1.gif
Can't wait to compare them to my closed ones.

There is definately nothing 'the same' between stock DT770's and Darths. I only own V1 darths (and soon open V1 darths) but the difference is HUGE and really quite amazing!

Paul

Apr 8, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by RasmusseN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Grado SR225 has a huge soundstage? usually Grados are said to have a small soundstage.

Ok, let me rephrase... larger in comparison to the lower Grado models, at least from my ears. I've never heard Darths, or Beyers, so ergo the question. I was using the 225 as a reference point, that's all. Without access, the only way to get an impression is other opinions. Most of what I have read here lately about the darths has been more about how they look, especially modded, rather than how they sound in comparison. Care to enlighten me??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back