What's (so) G00d about Darth Beyers?
Apr 6, 2007 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

buddha911

100+ Head-Fier
So after reading this here thread, I've become even more interested in Darth Beyers. The only trouble is that the only thing I've read about them is that they have mucho basso
basshead.gif
and that they look awesome. I've also read a little about the mids and how they are not recessed as the stock dt770's, but are they forward at all? And what about the highs? What music do you darth beyer owners listen to? Will these work for rock (iron maiden, audioslave, foreigner, rush, etc.)? Sorry for the question bombardment.

Apr 7, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 21
This is a good question and I'm curious as well. My impression has always been that besides the killer looks the mods improve/fix some of the sound issues that are present ont he stock model. I'd love for some details as to what generally gets changed... I assume each type is different, but are there some general trends?

Apr 7, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 21
regular darths are great at presenting full range at low volume. they are good in the mids and highs and GREAT with the bass. You can listen to them and hear everything without cranking it up. They aren't the best at anything except bass but the mids and highs are natural and pretty neutral w/ some sparkle. The soundstage is among the largest for closed cans.

Open Darths, especially the new ones, are the most fun ever. Soundstage is IMMENSE. Closest thing to a 2.1 setup you can find for your head. Mine are for sale for $1200 all day. lol

Apr 7, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
regular darths are great at presenting full range at low volume. they are good in the mids and highs and GREAT with the bass. You can listen to them and hear everything without cranking it up. They aren't the best at anything except bass but the mids and highs are natural and pretty neutral w/ some sparkle. The soundstage is among the largest for closed cans.

Open Darths, especially the new ones, are the most fun ever. Soundstage is IMMENSE. Closest thing to a 2.1 setup you can find for your head. Mine are for sale for $1200 all day. lol

Yah, yah. Rub it in...
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 21
The Darths have a cleaned up sound in the bass (not muddy) and the mids are not as recessed, but I would not call them forward. I only listened to a stock pair once so those were my main impressions for comparison. I remember a thread once where someone called the bass "speaker weight." With that I agree completely.

Though no one really talks much about amp synergy with these, I have to say that fiddling around one day with tubes in my Extreme, I bumped into a combination that turned my Darths into completely different headphones (prior listening with a Heed, Darkvoice, Hornet, Larocco PRII [negative synergy here], and a microamp). I went from liking mine, but considering selling them due to not much use, to listening to them a few times a week.

Get a good amp/Darth combo and enjoy.

Apr 7, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 21
More bass, more pernounced mids, less treble. Better detail, same great soundstage (if not better).

Better looks.

I use my Darth's V2 as my main cans, for any type of music. To me they are not a type specific headphone, they just sound so nice for all music.

Basically, everything larry says on his website about the Darth's is true.

Apr 7, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #7 of 21
I haven't been able to listen to a pair yet, but how would they compare to say the Grado 225? I recently had an opportunity to hear the G225 and was very surprised at the huge soundstange. I found them clean, clear and neutral and much lighter than I expected.

Apr 7, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't been able to listen to a pair yet, but how would they compare to say the Grado 225? I recently had an opportunity to hear the G225 and was very surprised at the huge soundstange. I found them clean, clear and neutral and much lighter than I exxpeced.

Huge soundstage? 225? Ok then X20 for the Darths in soundstage and X60 for Open Darths (X65 for my Deep Cups of Darth)

Apr 7, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't been able to listen to a pair yet, but how would they compare to say the Grado 225? I recently had an opportunity to hear the G225 and was very surprised at the huge soundstange. I found them clean, clear and neutral and much lighter than I exxpeced.

The Grado SR225 has a huge soundstage? usually Grados are said to have a small soundstage.

Apr 7, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #10 of 21
right hence my overly sarcastic remark...

all of which is absolutely, science-certified truth.

basshead.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by RasmusseN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Grado SR225 has a huge soundstage? usually Grados are said to have a small soundstage.

Haha, that's because they do have a small soundstage.
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #15 of 21
I have V2 Darths with BlackSilver cable and listening with a Corda HeadFive amplifier and Entech Number Crucher. Considering all of that, and considering that I have been listening the Grado SR60 pretty much exclusively for the past ~2 months (but have owned the 2005 DT 770 from Sept. 2006 - March 2007), I think they have TONS of bass, less recessed mids but not upfront compared to Grados, and slightly rolled off highs (compared to stock, 2005 DT 770s, and Grados). I don't really understand soundstage quite yet so I won't comment on that.

I'm really enjoying these a lot more than the 2005 DT770s. The bass is just huge compared to them, and they are just a lot more full sounding. My HeadFive amp is a fairly warm amp as well, so I think it may be a little too warm actually. I might try to find a good deal on a more neutral amp such as the Carda Aria or HA-2, but for now I think I'm going to be happy with the HeadFive and the Darths.

One thing I noticed about these cans is that they are very revealing of bass quality on the recording. If the bass on the recording is poorly recorded, or poorly sampled if it's electronic music, it is pretty noticeable with the Darths. I've listened for less than 20 hours as of writing this, but I've already found some tracks that have bass that sounds really excellent, as well as some that don't sound as good.

I also noticed that the treble seems a little more recessed, or maybe just not as upfront as my previous Beyers or my Grados. It was quite a difference when I first listened to them but in just an hour or so of listening I've started to "get used" to the sound or maybe just realised that there doesn't need to be tons of treble to have a nice, detailed sound.

Overall, so far, I recommend them if you have the cash and were considering the DT 770 (old or new).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back