What's next?
Jul 29, 2005 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jhenderson010759

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently using a K1000 plus a subwoofer for headphone listening (my HD650s and Stax 4040 gather dust).

Is there a system which would provide a substantial improvement in detail and resolution for (instrumental classical/jazz trio) music listening?

Jul 30, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 15
You might ask Headphile to be insane enough to take a Quadrophonic Headphone, replace all 4 drivers with K1000 drivers, Recable, woody the cups, and sit on your sub. I'm telling you, Larry might go for it.
evil_smiley.gif
basshead.gif

Jul 30, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #4 of 15
[size=medium]cough[/size] [size=xx-small]speakers[/size] [size=medium]cough[/size]...............[size=xx-small]B&W[/size]

Jul 30, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #5 of 15
Would ballancing them help much?

Jul 30, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by James63
[size=medium]cough[/size] [size=xx-small]speakers[/size] [size=medium]cough[/size]...............[size=xx-small]B&W[/size]

Been there, done that. Even with full digital correction and the most revealing tweeter made, it's still not as revealing as the K1000s.

I guess I am the first to actually beat Head-Fi! I can't buy or build better sounding equipment, and my wallet isn't empty yet!

Jul 30, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #7 of 15
That looks like it is a nice set up. What kind of speakers are they?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhenderson010759
I can't buy or build better sounding equipment, and ]my wallet isn't empty yet

You should get another pair of K1000s then. I am under the impression that they are discontinued.

Jul 30, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #9 of 15
The Audio Technica HA2002 + W2002 system or a (good Singlepower amp) + L3000 system (especially the L3000 system) are more natural and revealing to my ears than the K1000. Of course, the AT's won't emphasize that treble like the K1000 - if that's your thing then there's no need to stray from them
smily_headphones1.gif

No need for a subwoofer with the L3000 and a good tube amp
basshead.gif

Jul 30, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
The Audio Technica HA2002 + W2002 system ...

Man, that is beautiful gear. Regardless of how it sounds, it deserves to be in eyeshot.

Have you had a chance to compare the L3000 to the 2002?

Jul 30, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

I'm currently using a K1000 plus a subwoofer for headphone listening (my HD650s and Stax 4040 gather dust).

Is there a system which would provide a substantial improvement in detail and resolution for (instrumental classical/jazz trio) music listening?

What's next? Well the Sennheiser HE90 Orpheus of course!
orphsmile.gif

You could listen to the advice in this thread, and additionally, you could try out some gear for yourself at the Southern California Head-Fi meet. Details here in case you missed it. Hope to see you there.

Jul 30, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #12 of 15
G'day Jim.

You need a nearfield speaker system. It should be easy to build upon your current setup, in which case all you need is an accurate set of small monitors. I am using an old pair of B&W DM17ltd, and they work great. I am sure that you can do better with more contemporary components. Oh, and get rid of those surround speakers if you want detail.

Nearfield is the best of both worlds. The image and dynamics of speakers, with the detail and resolution of headphones. Room interactions can still be a problem, but much easier to cure than a conventional room system.

Beyond that you have to drag speakers outdoors. I have lots of suggestions there if you want to give that a try.

gerG

Jul 30, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Man, that is beautiful gear. Regardless of how it sounds, it deserves to be in eyeshot.

Have you had a chance to compare the L3000 to the 2002?

I posted some comments about the sound under my AT-HA2002 thread in the amp forum here. I also touched on a comparison to the L3000 there, I think.

I might as well try to get all my current thoughts together in one post. Here goes:

L3000 provides a (faily significantly) warmer and lusher sound with more bass impact/quantity/slam. L3000 is also probably a bit faster and more detailed. It sounds absolutely gorgeous with any and all music material I've played on it. I guess it's sort of like a vastly improved hd650 with more bass.

W2002 has a colder tonal balance, less bass. Some people might feel it's more neutral than the L3000 for this reason. Sounds almost equally as good (but in a different way due to the tonal difference - it can be good to hear music from an alternate perspective!) as the L3000 on certain material (especially intimate, beautiful female vocals like on Diana Krall Live in Paris and K. D. Lang Ingenue), however on other material (faster rock, pop) the L3000 is clearly superior IMO.

L3000 and W2002 do share two incredible stengths: 1) an intimacy, presense and projection of vocals that makes you feel like you are almost hearing a live singing performace, and 2) excellent, excellent imaging. headstage is not as big as Senns, but the precision of imaging more than makes up for it and can better fool you into thinking you're haering an intimate live performance. K1000 has a huge headstage, but also doesn't do the imaging like the AT's, to my ears.

Overall, the L3000 is definately superior to the W2002 (I believe Purk feels strongly about this too), but having used the W2002/HA2002 the last few days, it's started to work its way into my heart as a "secondary" system for certain music
icon10.gif

It's important to note that both cans are at such a high level of performance that they're highly sensitive to amp pairings. So far I've had the most luck with amps that mirror the nature of these cans. For the L3000, this means the Singlepower SDS - the warm, lush nature of the L3000 becomes that much better with a sweet tube amp - the result is incredible! For the W2002, the HA2002 is best so far. Like the W2002, the HA2002 on its own seems to be colder, perhaps even clinical in nature. However, somehow when these 2 are paired up, vocals are anything but clinical - in fact they sound incredibly natural and life-like!

Of course, eveyone's hearing is different, but that's my perspective. Hope that helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
G'day Jim.
You need a nearfield speaker system....
gerG

I already have a pair of rosewood Aurum Cantus Leisure 5's and a sub set up for nearfield listening in my den. And I've treated the room with acoustic panels.

Until I replaced the tweeters in my Rhythms, this arrangement was my preferred rig. But the LCY tweeter upgrade breathed new life into my living room system, and I was repleat.

Until the K1000's came along and upset the apple cart.

Jul 31, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
What's next? Well the Sennheiser HE90 Orpheus of course!
orphsmile.gif

You could listen to the advice in this thread, and additionally, you could try out some gear for yourself at the Southern California Head-Fi meet. Details here in case you missed it. Hope to see you there.

Unfortunately, I can't make that meet. But, is there a place I could hear the HE90's in So Cal? I guess it is irrelevant anyway, since the last batch was completely sold out before I even learned about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back