What's my dead car worth?
Apr 16, 2006 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

archosman

Songs From The Crystal Cave
I've got a 95 Camry (187,000 miles) with a seized engine. The interior's a mess but other than that it's sound. I've got a salvage guy who wants it but I have no idea what to tell him in terms of price.

The dash was vandalized by radio theft. Bought another dash but never put it in.

Engine is seized. My mechanic said all I would need is another engine to get it back up and running. I opted to buy a new Camry.

Interior is missing the console and glovebox, but I have all those pieces still.

I don't have the resources to part it out and would just as soon have someone haul it off. Anyone have an idea whould I should tell him if he asks a price?

Apr 16, 2006 at 7:25 AM Post #2 of 21
Well, I believe that the worth of your car is now precisely what you will have to pay to get it junked, sorry to play the undertaker on this one but lets be real here

Apr 16, 2006 at 8:09 AM Post #4 of 21
Try asking around at repair shops. Though with a shot engine, and bad interior, don't know how much you could get. I had a 95 V6 Camry with 160k miles, very clean but with a dead transmission, that a repair shop picked up and paid $1500 for it.

Apr 16, 2006 at 12:42 PM Post #5 of 21
To you its worth nothing.
Now if you owned a junkyard that had a wrecked Camry w/ a good engine? Then it would be worth something. Japanese engines tend to run forever, the bodywork is the weakspot. A typical Toyota motor will outlive 2 bodies! But I guess that isn't Japan-specific. mechanics outnumber bodyworkers by about 1,000:1.

Which brings us to the rule of thumb:
*Replace a Ford ever 100,000 miles.
*Replace a GM every 2 transmissions.
*Replace a Honda when you can see the road under your seat.

Apr 16, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #6 of 21
2006 tax deduction?
eek.gif

Apr 16, 2006 at 12:52 PM Post #7 of 21
Didn't understand the comment about not having the resources to part it out? You can try putting an ad in the paper as a parts car and piece it out for a couple weeks. It's a hit or miss situation. After the parts are sold, send it to the junk yard. I think they typically pay by the pound anyway, so best to part out what you can first.

I think if you get more than $500, then you did well.

Apr 16, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denim
Didn't understand the comment about not having the resources to part it out? You can try putting an ad in the paper as a parts car and piece it out for a couple weeks. It's a hit or miss situation. After the parts are sold, send it to the junk yard. I think they typically pay by the pound anyway, so best to part out what you can first.

Right now the car has been sitting in my friend's driveway for about 3 months. I live in a apartment complex so I can't have it sitting around here while parts get pulled off of it. And I don't think it's fair to try and do that at my bud's place. He's been pretty cool about it, but I need to get it out of there.

Apr 16, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
I've got a 95 Camry (187,000 miles) with a seized engine. The interior's a mess but other than that it's sound. I've got a salvage guy who wants it but I have no idea what to tell him in terms of price.

The dash was vandalized by radio theft. Bought another dash but never put it in.

Engine is seized. My mechanic said all I would need is another engine to get it back up and running. I opted to buy a new Camry.

Interior is missing the console and glovebox, but I have all those pieces still.

I don't have the resources to part it out and would just as soon have someone haul it off. Anyone have an idea whould I should tell him if he asks a price?

donate it to charity or something. Give it away, i doubt it's worth anything.

Apr 17, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denim

I got $450. Not going to complain...

Apr 17, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja
To you its worth nothing.
Now if you owned a junkyard that had a wrecked Camry w/ a good engine? Then it would be worth something. Japanese engines tend to run forever, the bodywork is the weakspot. A typical Toyota motor will outlive 2 bodies! But I guess that isn't Japan-specific. mechanics outnumber bodyworkers by about 1,000:1.

Which brings us to the rule of thumb:
*Replace a Ford ever 100,000 miles.
*Replace a GM every 2 transmissions.
*Replace a Honda when you can see the road under your seat.

I've actually seen the opposite of this. My uncle's Toyota Camry died shortly after 150k, while my Dad's friend has a Chevy truck with over 200k that he uses for heavy towing and it still has the original engine. But I don't know very much about cars so YMMV.

Apr 17, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #14 of 21
He's a Toyota mechanic and he's gonna fix it up. I would rather see it brought back than parted out anyway. 187,000 is a lot of miles though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back