What's most important - AMP, Subwoofer or Speakers?
Jul 5, 2013 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

fryzie

New Head-Fier
I want to create a good system and all I have right now is T1 headphones. I currently have the opportunity to buy the Velodyne 10" SPL-Ultra for $937 which is a bargain - but bit more than I would have ever wanted to spend. Because I don't know much, out of the AMP, subwoofer and speakers, which is the most important where you should put most your money into?

Jul 5, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #2 of 3
Clearly speakers. Just like in headphones, they are the part of the gear that vary the most. Order-of-magnitude above dacs and amps differences. Listen to them before buying, just like with headphones. Good, big floorstanding speakers don't need a subwoofer, but can mostly benefit if its done right. This means setting the sub to a cutoff where the main speakers leave off, typically around 40-50 Hz.

Don't eshew vintage speakers, there are some really nice TOTL deals to be had for less than your budget. That way you get much more SQ for the buck. Head on over to audiokarma if you want to go that route.

Jul 5, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
I want to create a good system and all I have right now is T1 headphones. I currently have the opportunity to buy the Velodyne 10" SPL-Ultra for $937 which is a bargain - but bit more than I would have ever wanted to spend. Because I don't know much, out of the AMP, subwoofer and speakers, which is the most important where you should put most your money into?

The AV forum and AVS forum websites might also be a good place to post questions about home audio.

Did you have a budget for your whole home audio setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back