Whats more ipmportant to quality of overall sound? Preampr Dac with line stage?
Aug 15, 2014 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

SearchOfSub

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello, I currently have a Chord Hugo with line level volume control built in connected straight to Job 225 Amp.

I haven't had the time to play with many accessories at my own home (although I have heard a bunch) so I wanted to ask those who have had many components in and out and is experienced to help me out on my choice.

The problem is Hugo connected directly to my amp sounds very very good, except there is a minor flaw that I cant get over. I feel like there is something hollow in the sound. I don't know how to explain it.. (maybe not full lol)

Ofcourse with my limited budget, I would have to sell the Hugo and get a preamp instead. My plan is to get a matching Preamp to my amplifier from the same company, and go for a lower end (a lot lower end) DAC like a MYDAC. All my sources are digital..

Or I can just keep the system the wait it is... I don't know if its my room that giving me this sound or the missing of the preamp, but it just feels like the sound is transparent yes,. but its also hollow(?)..

If adding the preamp is not much of an improvement, I'd rather just keep the system the way it is. Itll save me a lot of hassle..

My questions is,

In case like this where Hugo is an excellent dac with an OK volume control, would getting a separate preamp better the sound?

What makes most difference in a system, a DAC or a Preamp?

Thank in advance!

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 16
It could be you're not used to hearing the music with such low distortion. The first time I listened to my favourite pop music on my father's hi-fi (back in the early '90s) I felt exactly the same way. It has nothing to do with the volume control in the Hugo.

If anything, could it be your speakers? They are going to make the most difference to the "sound" you are getting.

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 16
It could be i am not very sure. My speakers are bookshelf monitors with ribbon tweeters. Generally speaking, i have read that the preamp makes the most difference in sound, BUT, the Hugo and Chord dacs/products generally are known to have much presence so its a tough one..

Would a Mydac + A very good preamp better the sound vs. Using Hugo straiht to amp? I dont have the budget right now to do home demos/ buy and return gear, so its rather one has to go before the nxt one comes in so its making it difficult.

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 16
What headphone or speaker are you using? Which amp?
Some people like that lean sound which to them means accurate or transparent.
Me, I like some meat in my sound.
So, its a preference.

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #8 of 16
My amp is Goldmund Job 225. My speakers are Evolution Acoustics MicroOnes. JOB 225 is a lean Amp to begin with, so i take it going dac to line level is making it worse..

Sent from my SM Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #10 of 16
Yes, the sound i am getting is way to lean. I would like some meat on the vocals and overall.. perhaps adding a sub might do the trick?

Sent from my SM Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 16
I didn't think Hugo worked too well as a DAC.  It could be that it doesn't have a direct line out and the Hugo's amp has to be part of the chain to an external amp.  I noticed loss in clarity using it as a DAC. Mids and lows sounded smoothed out and treble sounded disconnected from the mids and peakier.

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #12 of 16
You can try, if there is an audio store that would let you audition one for the weekend.
I used to have these ribbon speakers that sounded thin and lean. So they said you are using the wrong
amps. So I replaced the amps, still no improvement. So I ditched the speakers.

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #13 of 16
Ill definately look into getting myself into a audio shop to try and see difference a preamp brings.. i tnink ill just call in for an appointment and take my whole gear. Either way ill prabably come out with either a sub or a preamp. Thanks for the advice!

Aug 16, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #14 of 16
A lot of bookshelf monitors are rolled-off in the deep bass, so I reckon indeed, take everything into a shop and audition some speakers (or a sub as you suggested) until you've got the sound you want.

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #15 of 16
If you dont have room treatment...the sound I hear tends to be reverberant and lean in untreated rooms where the speakers are too small to overcome the reverberant field.  Going nearfield thickens the sound and room treatment seems to do the same thing.  I honestly think you must start at the speaker room interaction before a pre amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back