What's left to improve?
Mar 7, 2010 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Br777

Headphoneus Supremus
I use Denon ah d2000 headphones, I just got a new amplifier, and a new usb dac is on the way. i use win764bit and my pc is very quiet, foobar, wasapi, elictri-q to equalize my headphones for a flat response, and FLAC files.

I am curious - at this point, what else could i improve?
I know i could get better headphones or re-cable them, or do something like the markl mod, I know i could get a better amp or dac, i know i could get better cables, but is there anything else?

for example.. are there certain components in my computer that could effect the sound? I'm guessing no since i use wasapi, and will soon use a usb dac...

and don't tell me to start drinking
wink_face.gif

and yes i realize i am opening myself to a myriad of ultra smart a** remarks so I'm putting on my bandit cap to fend you off!
ph34r.gif

thanks everybody... love this Forum!

Mar 7, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #2 of 23
Mods, go balanced, etc...

My personal plan is D2000s, recabled balanced with this cable:

Ultrawire

Get someone either you know, or from the forums to install it. Doing it through a company is THREE TIMES the price of the cable.

Mar 7, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 23
It depends. if you listen and love the sound that your getting from your system, then you dont need to upgrade anything. You can now sit back and enjoy. If you dont like the sound or need more _____, then be prepared for the upgraditis bug.

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #4 of 23
Hybrys - thanks but as i mentioned that's one area in which im already aware that there is room for improvement. If and when i go down that road, ill keep that suggestion in mind

Kingstyles - I'm really just trying to see if I have all the bases covered. just want to see if there is any area of upgrade, or tweaking, or maybe even completely obvious changes i could make that i haven't thought of.

thanks again

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Br777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hybrys - thanks but as i mentioned that's one area in which im already aware that there is room for improvement. If and when i go down that road, ill keep that suggestion in mind

Going balanced means a probable amp change aswell, thus it isn't just a recable, that you mentioned you didn't want to here about.

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 23
use a better EQ? ElectriQ sounds unbearable to my ears.

what's your DAC? if you can roll opamps, put some high end units in there.

what interconnects are you using?

start modding your d2k, it's for your own good...there's ALWAYS something to improve on
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #7 of 23
Do you feel you need to change anything or are you happy with your current system?
There is always room for improvment but it always comes at a cost.

Some people get so busy worry about this detail, amp or that cable, that they forget about the reason they started this in the first place, to enjoy some music!
They miss to forest for the trees!

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #8 of 23
my dac hasnt even come yet, :wink: but its a keces 151mk2
rolling opamps is not an area im familiar with in the least... im not sure it would be worth doing (in terms of the dac being pretty entry level to begin with) and i certainly wouldnt know where to begin but im open to the possibility, though i certainly am not about to attempt to solder anything myself...

a better eq eh? now there's an idea, i was actually pondering that today.
what do you suggest? and why?
I would also love to hear why you find elictri-q unberable?

again, as cables, and headphone mods, ill get there eventually guys, but not in this thread..

but for the record, all my cables are either stock, or radio shack.. oh no, now ive opened Pandora's box :wink:

thanks - keep em coming!

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you feel you need to change anything or are you happy with your current system?
There is always room for improvment but it always comes at a cost.

Some people get so busy worry about this detail, amp or that cable, that they forget about the reason they started this in the first place, to enjoy some music!
They miss to forest for the trees!

im actually thrilled with my sound, im really just asking these questions out of sheer curiosity, and for the learning experience.

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #10 of 23
lookee lookee, those 3 bored opamps...they're screaming to be replaced by high-end units:

ElectriQ? too colored, too distorted...terrible thing. and the most interesting modes(linear phase, etc) have a huge latency that's unmanageable whenever you seek.

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lookee lookee, those 3 bored opamps...they're screaming to be replaced by high-end units:

well... this is an area where i need an education, i guess ill have to do some research or get more of your advice on this at some point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ElectriQ? too colored, too distorted...terrible thing. and the most interesting modes(linear phase, etc) have a huge latency that's unmanageable whenever you seek.

wow - those are strong words, ok so I'm on pins and needles, whats the cure to my EQ madness?

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Br777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im actually thrilled with my sound, im really just asking these questions out of sheer curiosity, and for the learning experience.

Well there is always lots to work on. Just remember to enjoy your sound every once in awhile.
BTW, if you are interested in EQ, as far as software based effects go they don't get much better then Waves Direct X and VST plugins...

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, if you are interested in EQ, as far as software based effects go they don't get much better then Waves Direct X and VST plugins...

cool, ill check those out...

Mar 7, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #14 of 23
well leeperry i did some digging and found that you seem to prefer sonnox eq's so i just finished downloading the trial and will see what happens...
i was gonna try the waves one but i got impatient with the process of trying to download a demo

Leeperry you seem to have lots of ideas and views on areas that im not familiar with, all be it some of them are more controversial than others :wink:
im gonna have to read more of your posts and start barraging you with questions :wink:

any more suggestions? anybody?

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #15 of 23
how about a hardware eq?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back