What's in your messenger bag (or whatever)?
Nov 3, 2008 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

jonathanjong

Headphoneus Supremus
The number of little gadgets I carry around all the time is getting a little ridiculous, and I was wondering if I was the only one. There was a thread like this some time back, but I can't seem to find it anymore...

Anyway, I carry a messenger bag and most of the time there are four items that are always in it: Lamy Safari fountian pen, Faber Castell Grip 2011 .7 mm mechanical pencil, Moleskine pocket squared cahier, and a small bag of gadgets. The small bag contains: Victorinox Spartan Swiss Army knife; Etymotic ER-20; headphone splitter; nifty thing that plugs into the iPod dock port with ports for headphones, mini-USB, and dock connector; chapstick; tiny LED torch; Tic Tacs; hand sanitizer; ibuprofen.

*phew* Often, but not always, my MacBook (13-inch) is in there too, with the power adapter and Logitech VX Revolution mouse.

So...what do you cart around daily?

Edit: I forgot to mention my portable external hard drive (50 GB)...need to get a new one. I usually have a USB stick too, but I left it at work today, so I forgot that too. Also, I always have the following with me, usually in my pockets: iPod Touch; Denon AH-C551 (if I'm not using them, they're either in my jacket pocket or my messenger bag); card holder full of useful plastic; cellphone (old Nokia thing); keys; either a Parker Frontier or a Faber-Castell Perfect Pencil or both.

Edit 2: Dammit, you guys! Now I'm thinking I have to bring a book around...

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 53
12" powerbook with projector adapter, power cable; pico and ER4P, as well as airplane adaptor and attentuator; etymotic earplugs; blackberry, 2gb USB stick; external HD with firewire cable; wallet, red pens, blackberry car charger, tiny (in-flight) deodorant, listerine tabs - and usually a book or two, plus papers... not to forget some credit cards, etc. good thing the bag is of ballistic nylon. haven't lost anything - yet...

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 53
I carry a backback most of the time.
dell xps m1210 (which should be changed to a macbook soon), ~5-7 articles that I'm reading, 5mm rotring 600 mechanical pencil, pentel graphgear 1000, pentel ergonomix pen, highlighters, sigg water bottle, iaudio7 16gb, Triple Fi 10 pros (should be ESW10jpn soon), bottega wallet, visvim oiled coin wallet (yes, coin purse), blackberry bold, sports towel, napkins that I liberally took from random places, a pair of cavallis, trident teeth whitening gum, bus pass/keys for my bike, tiny stapler, *cough*condoms*cough, and swiss army knife.

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 53
iPod Touch, Westone UM2s, Leatherman Wave, small pencil case with my essential writing utensils, a small Moleskine notebook, at least one novel, whatever notebooks I need for classes that day.

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #5 of 53
Dell Vostro 1310
ITouch 32Gb w/E2e's
Last two months of Wired magazine
2 Moleskines
Pens, Pencils, Hi-liter
Canon XTi
Return of the Crimson Guard (current book I'm reading)
BC246T scanner
Surefire E1e
Leatherman Wave
Halloween Candy I didn't hand out
WD passport 250GB external drive

Nov 3, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #6 of 53
Backpack containing:
Macbook Air
eeePC (debian/BackTrack)
WD USB bus-powered HD (160 GB?)
Assorted thumb drives (moving more and more to getDropBox.com)
logitech wireless notebook mouse
Blackberry 8800
Kindle
HP-12C
'Record' Book with decent pens and mechanical pencils
160GB iPod Classic
RSA Predator
SR-60 w/quarter-mod 414 pads (beater grados)
ER-4s (the 60's wernt gonna cut it for air travel)
assorted retired iPods (in case the first runs out of battery on the go)

This is probably too many things.

Why carry er-20s with you?

Where's the Pen-Fi thread?
smile.gif

Nov 3, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #7 of 53
^ There are a couple of Pen-Fi threads, actually. There's a big fountain pen one, anyway. You carry several iPods? Whoa...

The ER-20s are for occasions during which I prefer not to listen to music but want to block out noise. Mostly when I'm reading something particularly hard or am concentrating on writing something.

Nov 3, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #10 of 53
Usually just my wallet, pda/phone and keys (I no longer have a portable music set-up and have no need for one).

Nov 3, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #12 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
spare underwear.

LOL. There were times I wish had fresh undies to change into...

Anyway, I have a Jack Spade Greene St. Messenger (navy blue with safety orange interior) that I carry everyday for the past 3 years. Simple, durable, and not too pricey. What I do carry does vary but the following list is quite reliable:

Various medicines: Alavert D-12, Advil, Excedrin, Immodium AD
Neutrogena Hand Cream, unscented
Contact lens case
Rewetting drops for contact lenses
Contact cleaning solution
Cross Century ballpoint pen, Broad black
Pilot G2 Gel Ink Pen, 0.7mm black
Surefire A2 flashlight
Surefire SC-3 Spares Carrier with spare bulb and batteries
Leatherman Wave multitool
Large hardcover Moleskine notebook
Brown faux leather
Current copies of Newsweek and National Geographic
Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L with lens hood and pouch
Spare battery and CF card for camera

When I don't feel like photographing, I don't bring the photo gear along. At night, I do pack my 580EX II flash and spare batteries. I'm planning on a MacBook Pro in the future, so I'll switch to a Tenba Messenger.

Nov 3, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #15 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burglars kit, rope, rubber gloves, binoculars, tissue's.

Okay ,
I understand the need for the rope, so you can climb in or what have you, rubber gloves, ok so you wont leave any prints, but the tissue, hmmmm

What the tissue for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back