What's Better Than a Heed?
Sep 25, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #16 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe you are comparing apples and oranges. I mean comparing a $1,000 amp to a $450 does not prove anything. Of course the one costing 2.2 times is going to sound better! It should!

I used the thousand dollars as an arbitrary price cap as I didn't want people recommending ss amps costing upwards of two grand. And, I felt there was a pretty good selection (as mentioned above by other members) within this price point.

I wasn't asking anyone to "prove" anything. Just seeking recommendations. Also, I don't necessarily think more money equals better sound.

Of course, as with all things audio, YMMV.

Sep 25, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #17 of 75
I could not agree with Boomana more. I,too, have had a Heed since their introduction and have sampled, on loan, many more expensive amps. Of course their is improvement in some areas but there is really a ceiling and you must invoke the law of diminishing returns. The Heed does everything very well and somethings almost too well for its lineage.

Sep 25, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #18 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two Heeds.

I know you're probably just kidding, but...I have considered getting another Heed for my vinyl rig.

Sep 25, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #19 of 75
HeadAmp GS-1.
Owned both the Heed and the GS-1.
GS-1 is quite a bit better, and more transparent by a considerable margin, imho.

Sep 25, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #20 of 75
Better than a Heed?
I'll soon have a Heed here with me to compare to The Lehmann black cube linear - which has two headphone inputs, which is (also) why I got it: to allow for listening sessions together with my wife. The Lehmann is still the best and most versatile solid state amp I've heard until now.

Sep 26, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #21 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by MTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better than a Heed?
I'll soon have a Heed here with me to compare to The Lehmann black cube linear - which has two headphone inputs, which is (also) why I got it: to allow for listening sessions together with my wife. The Lehmann is still the best and most versatile solid state amp I've heard until now.

your impressions here will be very valuable to me as it's one of the amps on my shortlist! look forward to it

Sep 26, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #27 of 75
So, if I were looking at a Heed but wanted to save for a GS-1 should I save and get the GS-1 more quickly?

This seems to be the thought of a few people in this thread.

Sep 26, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #28 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonmnky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, if I were looking at a Heed but wanted to save for a GS-1 should I save and get the GS-1 more quickly?

This seems to be the thought of a few people in this thread.

That's more or less what I'm doing. I like the Heed somewhat better than the Gilmore Lite I'm using now, but I like the GS-1 so much more than I'm probably going to bypass the Heed.

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #29 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
your impressions here will be very valuable to me as it's one of the amps on my shortlist! look forward to it

Just had a first listening session with the Heed against the Lehmann bcl (source was my Primare CDP D20, headphones were AKG K701 and Grado PS1, music was instrumental and vocal jazz).
It's quite obvious that the Lehmann is the superior amp: It's less euphonious - or colored, if you will - more matter to fact but shows more details, has better control and really tidies things up compared to the Heed that tends to 'muddle' things together when the music gets a little more complex. Furthermore when you switch to the Lehmann, it's as if a thin, foggy curtain is removed from the music: everything seems clearer. So, sonically it's really another league, as it is built-wise, I think.
Interesting also that the Heed gets far more hot than the Lehmann.
Next step will be the comparison to the Meier Corda HeadFive and the Aria...

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #30 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by MTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just had a first listening session with the Heed against the Lehmann bcl (source was my Primare CDP D20, headphones were AKG K701 and Grado PS1, music was instrumental and vocal jazz).
It's quite obvious that the Lehmann is the superior amp: It's less euphonious - or colored, if you will - more matter to fact but shows more details, has better control and really tidies things up compared to the Heed that tends to 'muddle' things together when the music gets a little more complex. Furthermore when you switch to the Lehmann, it's as if a thin, foggy curtain is removed from the music: everything seems clearer. So, sonically it's really another league, as it is built-wise, I think.
Interesting also that the Heed gets far more hot than the Lehmann.
Next step will be the comparison to the Meier Corda HeadFive and the Aria...

that's great thanks =)

the BCL is extortionately expensive in Australia... but I've always been curious about that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back