what's better Ra-1 TA, or JMT's Penguin
Nov 2, 2001 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 9
Get a JMT.....and be done with it.

(RA-1 isn't too portable, and most say the TA is completely outdone my JMT's amps. Then again, the TA does run off easily found AAs......whatever works, I guess).

Nov 2, 2001 at 11:27 PM Post #4 of 9
While the RA-1 sounds better than the JMT by far, the RA-1 is not meant for portables, I think it doesn't sound right when run by portables, since it really needs a source with a lot of gain to sound it's best. No portable is going to do that. The JMT is suppose to better than the TA, if that's true then just get a JMT for portable use only, besides I'm sure it's much cheaper too.

Nov 3, 2001 at 9:17 AM Post #6 of 9
contact the guy named JMT (a PM or email or whatever), he'll tell you what you want to know.

Nov 3, 2001 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
...the RA-1 is not meant for portables, I think it doesn't sound right when run by portables, since it really needs a source with a lot of gain to sound it's best. No portable is going to do that.

My "portable" system is Panasonic CT470, Silver Sonic series 2 BL-1 Interconnects, Grado RA-1, Sennheiser HD-580 cans.

The downside to this system is that it requires a large travel bag. It's not a walkman style portable setup...the HD-580's are not particularly inconspicuous when in use
wink.gif

The upside is that it is extremely fun to listen to. The Panasonic/RA-1 combo has plenty of gain for the HD-580's.

Nov 5, 2001 at 7:28 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by r3cc0s
I'm looking for a new portable amp, so I'm wondering what's best for me... I have the Rs-2

Hmm...I find that between the JMT and the TA, I like the JMT better in every regard--faster, smoother, better balance of sound, better accuracy--except with my sr60s. They seem a little anesthetic on the JMT and a little richer on the TA (probably because the treble roll off in the TA and slightly boosted bass provides my sr60 exactly the type of tune up they need to sound good. That being said, I would discuss this with JMT. He has, I believe, alternative constructions that would serve Grados better. I went for a good "all around" amp that could drive my 580s without making them sound too dark (like the TA does), but that could also do more justice to my etys (the TA robs them of some of their transparency and accuracy IMO).

SO, did that help? Hope I didn't just make things more confusing for you.

Nov 5, 2001 at 10:35 PM Post #9 of 9
I'll be looking for a portable amp soon and decided to wait for the PortaCorda. Jan has a good reputation here and I'm sure PortaCorda will be nice and reasonably priced portable amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back