Whats better, ATH-M50 or the HD 558?
May 20, 2012 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

BrokenRhapsody

New Head-Fier
[size=1.7em] Audio-Technica ATH-M50  or  Sennheiser HD 558[/size]
[size=1.7em] or some other recommendations...[/size]

price range $150-299

won't be used with any sort of amplifyer.

Looking for an over the ear headphone, will not be used with amps, and most likely will not be used with any sort of equaliser program.

Level use: Casual
Will be used for:
  - Gaming (Starcraft, D3, ect._
  - Watching Anime
  - Watching Streams (JTv / TwitchTv)
  - Music:
        #Té - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84YhFHqIlaY&feature=BFa&list=PLAB3887FFE4C8F8BD&lf=results_main
        #Saycet - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Saycet&oq=Saycet&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=2463l6238l0l7229l16l13l6l0l0l0l209l723l4.2.1l7l0
        #Toe - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Toe&oq=Toe&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=52123l52408l0l52490l3l2l0l0l0l0l63l121l2l2l0
           &Other Anime / Japanese Music, I listen to a bit ither genere as well but not as often
              Dubstep & Remix would probably be my 2nd type of music I listen to most.

May 20, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 13
The two couldn't be much different.

HD 558:
  1. home hi-fi headphones
  2. open-backed (you hear ambient noise and others hear your music)
  3. light weight with velour ear covers & headband cushioning emphasizes comfort (for which I'm a fan)
  4. little durability or portability
  5. user-detachable 10-foot cable with 6.3mm jack gives poor compatability with mobile devices (mobile media players & notebook computers) though Sennheiser will release a 4-foot cable with 3.5mm jack in near future

ATH-M50:
  1. portable/studio/DJ headphones
  2. closed-backed (isolate you from ambient noise)
  3. foldable for transport, rotatable for one-ear listening
  4. 3.5mm jack with screw-on 6.3mm adapter emphasizes versatility and better compatability with mobile devices
  5. heavier weight and little headband cushioning causes some people (incl me) to regard them as uncomfortable
  6. available with non-removable straigh tor coiled cable (be sure you know which one you want!!)

They both are low-impedance, full-sized, over-ear headphones, though, and don't need supplemental amplificaiton though doubtlessly some will opine the HD 558 benefits therefrom as such was long the consensus with its predecessor, the HD 555.

May 21, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 13
Personally I own the 558's and use it exactly for the purposes you stated above. They are superb cans, but if you have to have booming bass don't even look at them, I find them to be very mellow and adept with positioning in gaming. I see a lot of people suggesting the ATH m50's in here, but I can't stand the sound signature of them, all in all it really is about your individual ears and I would suggest listening to both before making a decision.

May 21, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #8 of 13
The coiled cable is heavy, IMO, and attaches to only one side so it pulls down on the left ear cup. It's annoying.

It's appx 4' when contracted and though it stretches to appx 10', it's annoying to use it when stretched because it's always trying to recontract itself, thereby pulling on the left ear cup.

I stressed knowing which cable you want- coiled or straight- mostly so you know there are two versions and don't get surprised by what you find when you open the box.

May 23, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #12 of 13
I would preferably go with the M50s out of the choices, I personally love them.

One of the best headphones I've ever owned.

Great sound, and great portability, I use them to produce my music.

Oct 9, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #13 of 13
Personally I own the 558's and use it exactly for the purposes you stated above. They are superb cans, but if you have to have booming bass don't even look at them, I find them to be very mellow and adept with positioning in gaming. I see a lot of people suggesting the ATH m50's in here, but I can't stand the sound signature of them, all in all it really is about your individual ears and I would suggest listening to both before making a decision.

Yea it depends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back