whats best dap with optical input
Jan 21, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 20
I do not know where you got the idea that the Cowon had optical anything, but it does not. For that matter, there is not a DAP I know of that has optical input.

Why would one ever need optical in on a DAP?

On a different note, any DAP that is meant to sync with a computer has USB input.

I suggest you actually do research on the subject, because it is painfully clear that you have no idea what you are speaking of.

-Nkk

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 20
Well, doesn't the old irivers have optical? I belive so.

Jan 21, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 20
Used iRiver iHP has the optical spdif out, the replacable battery and HDD, and can be used with the rockbox firmware. Definately this is the best choice.

Jan 21, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 20
But they do not haver optical in, which is what the OP wanted. If he meant Optical out, the iRiver is good, but it fails on the USB out front (assuming the OP also meant USB out). Clarification from the OP would be nice.

-Nkk

Jan 22, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 20
That is probably what he meant, but the thread title says otherwise.

-Nkk

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #8 of 20
Actually considering that iRiver + an amp that accepts optical (eg. D10) will get you close to the price of Hifiman, which would be a better choice?

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jelt2359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually considering that iRiver + an amp that accepts optical (eg. D10) will get you close to the price of Hifiman, which would be a better choice?

Depends on how much you value the portability of a standalone Hifiman versus the versatility of having a separate amp/DAC that can be used with anything.

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #10 of 20
actually with the massive size of the HM801 I dont see it as being any more portable than iriver+D10 at all, in fact its a bit larger. iriver iHP12XX series actually does have optical input as wel, although i'm sure he meant output. I think the cowon has digital output but only via a home dock, not portable

I actualy see the iriver as portable digital transport as baing a better solution all round as when tech moves on you can use it with the next best portable dac/amp, but HM801 you are stuck with the innards. upgradable amp modules, but not dac and it doesnt have digital out only in correct?

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #12 of 20
Isn't the Hifiman as a DAC better than the D10/ any other similarly priced DAC? So for present usage, is there any reason to go for the D10+iriver combo for purely SQ reasons?

It's definitely less thick than the D10+iriver combo.

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not know where you got the idea that the Cowon had optical anything, but it does not. For that matter, there is not a DAP I know of that has optical input.

Why would one ever need optical in on a DAP?

On a different note, any DAP that is meant to sync with a computer has USB input.

I suggest you actually do research on the subject, because it is painfully clear that you have no idea what you are speaking of.

-Nkk

I'm with nkk on this one. The OP seems to have the concept of a DAP confused with DACs like the D10.

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #14 of 20
The iRiver H120 and H140 have optical output. But afaik no optical input.
Neither do I know of any other player that does...

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iRiver H120 and H140 have optical output. But afaik no optical input.
Neither do I know of any other player that does...

As stated earlier, the H1xx has optical in and out. I'm not aware of any other DAP's with optical in.

Also, I'm with Qusp as far as the h1xx vs. the HiFiMan. The HiFiMan might be better than a H1xx/D10 (I'm skeptical but in fairness I've never heard a HiFiMan), but not for long as new DAC's are released which will only serve to elevate the H1xx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back