What's a good set of headphones for Ipod?
May 10, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by hermes_vb
Just curious...What should be their $$$ according to you?
580smile.gif

Lol....40 bucks, but bose will never go to that price.....40 bucks seems pretty decent and its OK comfort...

May 11, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard
AKG K81 or K240 would work for you. You may also want to try out a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770.

Model K240 has a 600 ohms impedance. For what I've read, an impedance of 64 ohms or less is recommended for portable devices (such as Ipods) to ensure the device will be able to "move" the headphones. Then again, I could be wrong since I'm a newbie. The sames applies for the Beyerdynamic DT 770. That leaves me with model K81DJ. I've given it some thought. It looks promising.

May 11, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #20 of 32
From impressions I've read about the K81, that's probably the way to go. Lots of people are really diggin' it and it seems to match well a variety of genres, especially rock, rap and electronic.

May 11, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Model K240 has a 600 ohms impedance. For what I've read, an impedance of 64 ohms or less is recommended for portable devices (such as Ipods) to ensure the device will be able to "move" the headphones. Then again, I could be wrong since I'm a newbie. The sames applies for the Beyerdynamic DT 770. That leaves me with model K81DJ. I've given it some thought. It looks promising.

well.... there is the 32 ohm version of the DT770

May 11, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

I'm familiar with the burn-in process (been reading a lot), but when you say I'll have to EQ it, it confuses me. Do you mean I'm gonna have to alter my music using an audio edit program (Audition, Sonic Foundry, etc) to get the best sound?

Hehe, no. I meant you'll have to equalise them because frequencies from both sides of the spectrum are rolled off. The bass goes really deep but it lacks the impact in the bottom octave, so the music seems lean. Similarly, because the highest frquencies are rolled off too, so they seem very dry, analytical and bright/harsh. The harshness goes away after the burn-in.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #23 of 32
Sennheiser HD485's if you are not completely opposed to open headphones.

May 11, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~AZ~
Sennheiser HD485's if you are not completely opposed to open headphones.

Those were my first option until I realized they were "open"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dihnekis
KSC 35s and Grado Sr-60s.

So far I haven't read a single bad review for a Grado but they are "open". Those Koss are not even circumaural for what I read.

Once again thanks to everyone who helped. Taking into consideration my $150 budget, I have finally narrowed it down to three models:

1-Sennheiser HD 280 pro
2-AKG K 81 DJ
3-Sony V6

I think I'll go with the Senn 280 for they supposedly provide good external noise attenuation. Anyway no matter which way I decide to go, I'll end up with a better set of headphones than the ones I currently have.

May 11, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

You're right about the impedance issue in general, but you're wrong about the 240's - he's referring to the 240s, which has an impedance of 55 ohms:
http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-ma...kg-k-240-s.php

I've heard the 240s's and I think they're fantastic - but they're a semi-open design, which means a little sound leaks in. It's not a lot (like the grados), but it's a little.

There's also an older model of 240m and a newer model of 240df that has the 600 ohm impedance like you mentioned, one of those is probably what you were thinking of.

May 11, 2006 at 1:33 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

So far I haven't read a single bad review for a Grado but they are "open". Those Koss are not even circumaural for what I read.

Once again thanks to everyone who helped. Taking into consideration my $150 budget, I have finally narrowed it down to three models:

1-Sennheiser HD 280 pro
2-AKG K 81 DJ
3-Sony V6

I think I'll go with the Senn 280 for they supposedly provide good external noise attenuation. Anyway no matter which way I decide to go, I'll end up with a better set of headphones than the ones I currently have.

If I were you, and lived anywhere near a guitar center, I would go down there and try them out before getting them. I'm just saying - I had read tons of great reviews on them, tried them, and absolutely hated them. In my personal opinion, they lost a noticable amount of detail in the vocal range that I usually enjoy in my music, and frankly I liked the sound of my $30 Sony headphones more.

I know for a fact there are both quite a few people who disagree with me, and quite a few people who agree with me. I've a lot of good things about the k81dj, and I was able to try their sibling the k181 at guitar center and it was a nice sounding headphone. (If you EQ it to "acoustic" or "treble boost", it really brings out the vocals.)

Good luck.

May 15, 2006 at 8:58 AM Post #28 of 32
I'd go with the K81's for portability, performance and price, they're light as well. get yerself a portable amp (not essential though)with the change and you'll have have one serious kickass portable system..

May 15, 2006 at 10:11 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Rymer
AKG 81DJ? A little under you budget, but I'm already feeling sorry for your wallet!
evil_smiley.gif

I would agree as well. Plus, the added bass of the AKG K81DJ's are a perfect match for the somewhat kightweight bass put out by the iPod. Makes for a good match.

May 15, 2006 at 10:19 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

1-Sennheiser HD 280 pro
2-AKG K 81 DJ
3-Sony V6

The Sennheiser HD280Pro's do an excellent job of keeping things quiet. But they are on the full sized phone side of the ledger (I own a pair) and they are not the easiest to drive stright from the iPod and get the best results. If you are leaning toward adding a portable headphone amp, than the 280's are very well balanced. Not the deepest bass, or the highest highs, but great midrange.

SInce you can pick ip a pair of 280's for under $100 if you look around, think about adding a second, more portable pair of phones like either the AKG K26P or the K81DJ's. Then you'll have the best of both worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back