What's a good set of headphones for Ipod?
May 10, 2006 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

hermes_vb

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody. I'm a newbie and this is my first post.

I recently bought an Ipod and want to upgrade the crappy headphones it came with. I'm not an audiophile, but I consider myself having an above average hearing. At least I can hear some distortions my friends can't hear...

I've been reading a lot about headphones on this forum (and others), but I can't seem to decide what are the best headphones for me. Basically I'm looking for a closed, circumaural, confortable set that doesn't break the bank. Right now I'm on a tight budged ($100-$150) so any help will be appreciated.

PS I forgot to mention I have a big head (and ears) so take it into consideration...

May 10, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 32
What kind of sound do you like? Lots of bass?
confused.gif

May 10, 2006 at 8:00 AM Post #3 of 32
For a closed phone, take a look at some of the IEMs. The only IEM I've used is the Shure e3c. I think it sounds pretty good, and it is easily driven by an iPod.

For a full-sized closed headphone, I really liked the Sony MDR-V6 with the iPod. Not the best headphone I've heard, but really not so bad, either.

May 10, 2006 at 8:08 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by hermes_vb
Hi everybody. I'm a newbie and this is my first post.

I recently bought an Ipod and want to upgrade the crappy headphones it came with. I'm not an audiophile, but I consider myself having an above average hearing. At least I can hear some distortions my friends can't hear...

I've been reading a lot about headphones on this forum (and others), but I can't seem to decide what are the best headphones for me. Basically I'm looking for a closed, circumaural, confortable set that doesn't break the bank. Right now I'm on a tight budged ($100-$150) so any help will be appreciated.

PS I forgot to mention I have a big head (and ears) so take it into consideration...

KOSS Ksc75!

May 10, 2006 at 8:09 AM Post #5 of 32
I second the MDR-V6 recommendation, I own the MDR-7506 which is it's twin and it sounds great out of my iPod. Also, they're durable as hell and pretty cool looking headphones... in an industrial kind of way.
biggrin.gif

You might want to swap the pads though.. they kind of suck for long listening sessions.

May 10, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #6 of 32
AKG 81DJ? A little under you budget, but I'm already feeling sorry for your wallet!
evil_smiley.gif

May 10, 2006 at 11:07 AM Post #7 of 32
i also reccommend the v6/7506. doesn't really need an amp so you can take it around with you. plus, they fold up and come with a little bag for you to put them in. i've found that they improve with an amp as well, though, again, it's not required. i also recommend the beyer pad mod for the headphones, as the pleather cups can leave your ears somewhat sweaty, not to mention the pleather eventually cracks and peels off. besides, who wouldn't want pillowy goodness on their ears while listening to music?

ps - the 7506 is the v6 with a gold plug. thus, v6 is a bit less expensive.

May 10, 2006 at 11:30 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by BennyBoy
KOSS Ksc75!

Yep, my daughter loves the ones I got her!

May 10, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 32
First of all, Thanks everyone for the posts. Now a few points...

1.@Esidarap I mostly listen to Rock so Highs instead of Lows are a bit more important to me. Having established my main preference, I'd also like to mention that I listen to various genres of music: Electronic, Classical, Rap, Latin (Salsa, Merengue, Latin Jazz). So you see that at least decent bass would be appreciated for Rap and Latin Jazz (where Baby Bass is a prominent instrument).

2.For those of you who recommended IEM models...I hate those because they've nerver managed to feel confortable for me. That's why I prefer circumaural (combined with closed for some noise attenuation). I forgot to mention it so MY BAD.

3. Considering my preferences and the listening setting (Ipod)...What's your take on the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and the Bose TriPort Headphones?

PS I know audiophiles in general love to thrash Bose, but I had to ask.
etysmile.gif

May 10, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #11 of 32
If you are going to use an HD280, then you are going to have to EQ it to enjoy them. A Lot. They are the quintessential phones for a smiley faced EQ. And they are the phones that make you believe in burn-ins. You'll end up either loving them or hating them.

But they isolate really really well. Among the best in full sized headphones, I hear.

May 10, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #12 of 32
Oops, double post.

May 10, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by slinger1182
If you are going to use an HD280, then you are going to have to EQ it to enjoy them. A Lot. They are the quintessential phones for a smiley faced EQ. And they are the phones that make you believe in burn-ins. You'll end up either loving them or hating them.

But they isolate really really well. Among the best in full sized headphones, I hear.

I'm familiar with the burn-in process (been reading a lot), but when you say I'll have to EQ it, it confuses me. Do you mean I'm gonna have to alter my music using an audio edit program (Audition, Sonic Foundry, etc) to get the best sound?

May 10, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by hermes_vb
Just curious...What should be their $$$ according to you?
580smile.gif

Around $40-50. I think you might like something from AKG, not sure what model though. What about a goldring DR150? Are those open or closed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back