whats a good portable headphone amplifier for a Cowon i10?
Nov 18, 2011 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jiff

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for an amp that works with my new i10 and as it doesn't have a line out only a headphone jack I was wondering if there are some that will work with it (I'm new to the amp game).  I use HF5 buds and I really don't want to spend more than a $100 on an amp, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 18, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #2 of 4
I think on the price side of things I'm willing to go up to around $200 but not over $250 if that helps my choices.

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #3 of 4
I suspect price isn't the issue with the lack of response, but the fact that the i10 is relatively new.

For buds I'd think the i10 puts out sufficient power. Do the highs and lows sound muted, like the buds are not getting enough power?

I like COWON products, at least the iAudio 7 and 9. With these, I set the sound level at the midpoint (20 or so) and amp the output to my full-size headphones as well as my Klipsch IEMs with such amps as the Practical Devices XM4 and older amps like the mSeed and Headstage Lyrix. The XM4 allows amp "rolling", though I like the 8620.

I think any decent amp will be fine with the i10, since the i10 has the suite of music adjustability like my i9. Just play witht the EQ and such till you get an enjoyable sound for the music you listen to.

Nov 19, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the reply.  Well now that my Ety HF5's came in the sound quality is out of this world so as of now I'm going to put getting an amp off but I was looking at some FiiO's on Amazon like the E5 or E11.  The 100mW to 200mW they put out I think would be plenty for my HF5's but now that I have the i10 sounding so good I'm just going to stick with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back