Whats a good IEM for Metal?
Jul 5, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #31 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by maladjustdeath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with using Behold Judas is the unnoticeable bass guitar in this song (at least on unamped sr-80). Drums and guitar are fine though.
This sound reminds me of 90's Scott Burns productions (infamous for "eliminating" Steve Digiorgio bass lines from Death - Human album).
Ideally additional benchmark songs should be added - maybe SYL for multiple layered channel, some Doom (My dying bride Katatonia/Draconian) for bass. But this depends on personal taste (I'm a basshead, and would sacrifice guitars for that).

You are right, bass guitar is almost non existent. I think I can hear some bass guitar finger picking, but that could be illusion too, caused by the decay of snare drums. Too loudly mixed bass drums.

Jul 6, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #32 of 33
Mm, i'm gonna revive this topic again
biggrin.gif

I'm just going to plug the IEM into the jack, no amps/bricks in my pants. So.. what IEM's are left?

Jul 6, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #33 of 33
I wouldn't say the UM2s are a "terrible" value per say, but DO NOT think for one moment that you will only be able to find them for $300. I got them TWO years ago for $250 on ebay, brand new, unopened. Just search the for sale forum every few days and if you're lucky you'll be able to pick up a pair for say like $220 or less. Now, they may not be a spectacular value at $300 but if you're lucky enough to get them for under $250 you'll hear the metal you've been missing. Obviously I don't have a ton of IEM's to compare to, but compared to shure e2cs and V-Moda vibez, these things are in a whole different league. I agree with what has been said about the bass, its very much present, but quite punchy. Here's the real thing about metal which some people may be forgetting. IMO you shouldn't get a super accurate set of phones like the etymotics or shure e500s because metal was not meant to be dissected and analyzed to find it's faults, it was meant to be freakin rocked to! So get the UM2s which are on the "fun" side, but IMO it's more like they're on the side of those who love to throw the ol devil horns in the air and freakin rock out! BTW, if you do decide you want a well produced album to test out the true SQ of the UM2s, I suggest listening to The Blackening by Machine Head, not only is it extremely well produced, but I also believe that according to their record label, there is or was a campaign going on in Australia claiming that this album may be one of, if not, the best metal album ever recorded. Decide for yourself, but trust me, the UM2s will not leave your amount of head banging at a loss my friend.

Oh, and also the UM2s do NOT need an amp to kick some @$$ so that will also end up saving you money in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back